Chapter 12: Fire!

"Is something wrong with you today?" Franny asks me, more curious than rude.

"Huh?" I glance at her with an innocent little shrug. "What do you mean?"

"You look like you've been looking for someone the entire day..." she bites on her bottom lip and furrows her immaculate eyebrows at me.

I might as well let her know. I lean in and whisper, "Have you seen Mason?"

"Mason?" Franny's voice rings louder than I want it to. I peek around to make sure nobody has heard us say anything. Who knows what rumors will come out?

"Shushhhhh!" I cover her mouth warningly. Her eyes widen at my secrecy.

"Sorry..." she winces, "but no. I have not seen him. Why the sudden interest? Did he show up at your place last night?" She gets excited.

"One question at a time." I push her playfully away from me. "I'm just worried about him okay? It's not really my business to say."

"Well, missy--" The bell rings, interruping Franny in mid-sentence.

"I"ll see you afterschool!" I shout out to her as she rushes to get to her class.

"No, you won't!" She responds. What does she mean by that?

I sit there mulling over the possibilities. Oh! Jonathan is going to pick her up today. I nod to myself and get out of my seat.

"Guess who?" Someone covers my eyes with their hands and whispers into my ears.

"Hi Hunter." I laugh as I bring his hands away from my eyes.

"Am i that obvious?" He laughs as we walk on to our next class.

"Sorry, but you ruined it right when you opened your mouth." I shrug.

"Oh yeah. Right," he nods.

"How was the meeting with the football coach?"

"He's a great person. It's just that it seems that my usual position is already taken, which is fine. Still, he just says he's not sure if the other teammates will accept me onto the main team so late." He frowns a bit.

"Sorry, what did you play again?" I try to remember, but nothing comes up. Was he a linebacker or something?

"I was quarterback at my old school." He reminds me.

"Oh. Mr. Quarterback huh?" I punch him teasingly. "Impressive."

"Not really." He replies modestly.

"Your school is so much better than ours for football." I roll my eyes. It's the truth. They just are a lot better.

He glances at his phone screen as it vibrates. A flicker of an unreadable emotion shows briefly on his face before he smiles at me.

"Ah, you need to go?" I smile understandingly.

"Yeah, sorry. I"ll talk to you later okay Dels?" He gives me a side hug before rushing off quickly. There's something about that boy. He seems to always be in a rush, or just ready to go.

"Yeah." I nod. I head on to class.

Class is boring as usual. I barely stay awake. I just go through the notions of nodding and writing random notes down.

RINNNGGGGG!!!!

iWhat the..It alarms all of the students as we all stare at the teacher. Was this a drill? Then, we all head outside to the designated area.