13

It had been three days since your talk with Mikey on the rooftop and you were growing more and more antsy as the hours passed by at a painstakingly slow pace.

But it was finally the day you'd go to see your brother.

After that conversation with Mikey, the two of you had gone back to the old routine of helping him fall asleep. It was almost as if the two of you decided that whatever had happened, didn't.

You weren't upset about it but there was a tiny part of you that was waiting for it to happen again. You were fairly settled in and no one had been injured yet.

(You did not count Kokonoi's fit about a paper cut as an injury)

"Excited?" Takeomi eyed your shaking form in an uninterested manner.

You shuddered and nodded. "Not really but yes."

"Okay." He nodded and sped off as the lights turned green. He was your designated driver for your trip. It was silent and awkward and you felt uncomfortable to make a request.

"Uh, Takeomi-san?" You hesitantly asked. You were a bit awkward with addressing the men you lived with. You didn't even know how old some of them were so it was justified.

He hummed in acknowledgment.

"Can we stop off for a moment? There's a bakery around the corner-" You were cut off by him suddenly swerving around the corner you had just mentioned.

"Hurry up." He parked the car and unlocked your door. You blinked before nodding and running out. You hurried over to the bakery that you and your brother used to run to after stealing some money from your parents.

Walking in and feeling that warmth envelope you as the sweet scent of baked good graced your senses. It unknowingly brought a smile to your face, nostalgia washing over you.

"Welcome! What can I get you?" The owner walked forth, a plump old woman with laugh lines decorating her face. Her cheer brought a soft smile to your face as you walked up to the display cabinet.

Admiring the decorated pastries you thought to yourself, trying to recall your brother's favorites. "Can I please get a set of macarons? Two salted caramel, two cookies and cream, two vanilla and two strawberry?"

"Certainly!" The lady smiled as she began packaging them. "Anything else?" 

Humming you decided to get something for the others. "Can you put together an assortment for me? I don't mind how much it costs or what goes in." You smiled, pulling a black card from your wallet.

Since the gifting of the black card, you had been wanting to use it. Like the rich character from a movie. It contained your pay, or rather your allowance, that you had to spend. Grocery shopping didn't count as there was another card for it entirely and you weren't really allowed out. So you honestly were rather excited about it.

"Is this what my life's become?" You whispered to yourself, forcing a smile when the old lady glanced back at you. Seeing the brightly colored macarons made you nostalgic, memories of your brother and Baji hanging out and stealing money to buy them making you chuckle. You shook your head to clear your thoughts, the anxiety of finally seeing you brother again setting in.  Eventually everything was packed and  you left, arms full of pastries and not even a dent in your funds.

"Took you long enough." Takeomi grumbled, cigarette dangling elegantly from his fingers. "Should've picked me up a pack of-"

"Marlboro Blacks?" You rolled your eyes, finishing his sentence as  you did your seatbelt, manoeuvring around your baked goods.

Takeomi rolled his eyes and revved the engine, pulling away from the curb that he had illegally parked at. "Feeling a bit more ballsy now?"

You shrugged whilst plucking the cigarette out of his hand and replacing it with a cookie. "I suppose the black card got to me." You flicked the cigarette out of the window.  

"Bipolar wasn't on the file." He muttered under his breath, taking a bite from his cookie and lighting up another cigarette. Neither hand on the wheel.

You blinked and scoff lightly. "I don't think I've ever seen you without a cigarette. It's almost concerning." You scrunch up your nose slightly.

Takeomi side eyed you. "Don't like the smell? Don't breathe."

"Well sorry for being somewhat worried about your health." You threw your hands up in mock defence. "It's what I'm paid to do."

"Yeah you are overpaid." He took a long draw from his cigarette, blowing the smoke out with a blissful expression.

"Well apart from being a chronic smoker, what else is there to you?" You asked, eyes watching the scenery outside the window.

"I'm a tax evader." He said with a perfectly straight face. You nodded.

"Same. Illegal work, am I right?"

"You talk a lot." Casting you a glance of annoyance Takeomi raises a brow.

Nodding again you reply. "Yeah, happens when I'm nervous."

"Well get your act together. We're here." As he killed the engine you realised that the two of you had indeed arrived at the bleak prison building. He exited the car, leaning against it while waiting for you. You swung your feet out, breathing in deeply before sighing. Grabbing the box of macarons you got up and walked past Takeomi who followed, locking the car behind him. You decided to ignore the fact that he somehow took up four carparks.  It was understandable, '69 Camaro's were hot.

Stepping into the building and holding the door open for Takeomi you held your breath in hopes you'd calm down. As you walked up to the front desk, Takeomi took hold of your arm, shaking his head.

"We go through here." He pulled you along through a door that read "Staff Only". The security didn't even bat an eye, the receptionist behind the desk in that room looked up briefly to say, "Business again, Akashi-san?"

"Not exactly."

"Oh." The receptionist glanced  at you curiously. You felt uncomfortable but just allowed Takeomi to lead you wherever.

"Business?" Disinterested but detesting the silence you asked.

"Yeah." Was all you got. You nodded, unsatisfied but unwilling to pursue further conversation. The floor he led you to was underground, a dank, damp feeling lingering in the air that made your skin crawl. "Third room." He pointed to the door, the glass slightly fogged from the humid air. But upon closer inspection you could make out the blurred figure sitting behind a table. You began breathing deeply to pull yourself together, butterflies dancing in your stomach.

The abrupt ringing of one of Takeomi's burner phones went off and he placed his hand over the handle of the door.

"What? But I'm already-" You watched  as his face contorted, his eyes flitting down to you with an almost guilty  look. "Okay. Whatever." He hung up, tilting his head back to look up at the flickering fluorescent lights.

"What?" You asked, his behaviour piquing your interest.

"Time to go."