42

"Hey! Stop that!" You frowned, rushing over to where some older boys were tormenting a small kitten. They turned and sneered, towering over you with their sticks and fists. You gulped looking down at the trembling animal and steeled your resolve.

"What are you going to do about it little girl?" One of them crept closer, reaching out to grab you.

"Piss off!" Another voice came as a fist slammed into his face. A flurry of black hair and a bright red shirt flew across your vision as your saviour began pummeling the group into the ground. As you watched, you gathered the kitten in your arms, cooing soft words of comfort.

The boy stood amongst the fallen bodies of your almost attackers, his shoulders heaving before he turned to look at you with a bloodied smile.

"You alright?" He asked taking a step closer. Your eyes stayed fixed on the stark white of his sharp canine teeth against blood. "Hey!" He snapped his fingers in front of your face and you shook yourself out of it, bowing to him.

Still facing the floor as you murmured, "You got hurt."  The boy frowned and brushed a hand over his bloodied mouth. Instead of wiping the blood away, it smeared and your brow furrowed further.

"Are you okay?" He enunciated, obviously a little  irritated. You quickly nodded and his gave fell to the kitten. "What sick freaks." His eyes softened and his reached a finger to pat the cowering kitten. It's tawny fur was matted with blood and dirt as it looked up at him with distrust.

There was a sudden shout as an older man came rushing towards the scene of unconscious bodies and the boy gripped your arm whilst being conscious of the kitten situation before bolting off. The two of you ran and you couldn't help the small grin that grew when he looked back at you in a devious smirk.

The water rushed over your feet as they sunk into the sand. Mikey stood before you, a slight scowl on his porcelain features. He was trying to catch a fish, but the scattered the moment they saw him coming.

"Aim below." You spoke quietly and he turned and tilted his head. "The fish. Aim for below them." He turned back and continued grasping at the poor fish without any luck.

Sanzu stood just off to your side, a passive scowl on his face.

Your words had a way of digging themselves into people's brains, into their hearts. He didn't like it. He didn't like having to question himself. He didn't like having to question his beloved king. It made him sick. It made him sick to see that the others would so readily discard their loyalty to Mikey in favour of you. But there was always that tug, that little nagging voice that told him it wasn't right.

You watched as Mikey splashed about, his face flushed with the sun and eyes starting to shimmer with life. Your shoulders were slouched and you wanted nothing more than to be in bed, curled up and swaddled by blankets. You slid off your clothes, throwing them up onto the beach to sit down in the water in your swimwear.

The waves rushed to meet you, soothing your worries as the sun kissed your skin. Well not exactly soothing them. You just put them out of your mind for a minute and allowed yourself to enjoy the trip as best as you could.

Your eyes met Ran's as the group of men waded back into shore. He lifted his hand to wave and even cast you a small grin. You returned the wave and attempted to smile. Mikey grabbed your hand suddenly.

"Why are you paying attention to them? You should only be focused on me." His words sent chills down your spine  as terror was once again flooding your veins. "Do I need to train your eyes to only stay on me?"

His facial expression was some sort of twisted look. His thin brows were furrowed and his black eyes were wide. You could see how his jaw was clenched and could practically hear the grinding of his teeth. But the look in his eyes portrayed a sense of innocence.