26

There was a pit in your stomach as you stared out the window, fingers playing with each other in your lap.

People, buildings and trees overlapped and merged as Mochi drove just over the speed limit.

At your side lay a bag of pastries, filling the car with that signature bakery sweetness.

"You alright sweetheart?" Mochi glanced at you in the mirror. You met his gaze and nodded slightly. With a sad smile, he reached back and handed you a candy. Noticing it to be one of your favorites, you took it and unwrapped it immediately.

Kakucho didn't speak on the drive, but instead watched the road intently.

Eventually, you were at the prison, the tall brick building loomed over you and blocked out the weak sun. Shivering slightly, you exited the car, taking Mochi's hand as he assisted you.

Kakucho walked beside you as Mochi led you through the building, waving at that same receptionist. But instead of going downstairs like you did last time, you walked straight past the stairs and into another door, further down the bleak hallway.

The persistent humming of the fluorescent lights above you mixed with the dull beige wallpaper made the musty smell that much more worse.

But the room you walked into had white-washed walls with two facing sofas with a coffee table in between and a stray armchair. At the back of the room was a table with a kettle and cups as well as a mini fridge. A few plants decorated the room, giving it some life.

The room made you feel comfortable as you sank into one of the sofas at Kakucho's silent indication.

"He'll be here shortly." Mochi smiled reassuringly as he looked up from his phone. He took the armchair as Kakucho stood behind you. Fingers scratching along the paper bag from the bakery, you tried to control your breathing.

But the door clicked open behind you and shuffling footsteps made their way to your ears. Frozen in place, you couldn't turn around to see who had entered. But you knew who it was.

Without even seeing him, tears pricked your eyes as your lips trembled with sobs.

"(Y/n)." Your brother's voice called, broken and weak. Through your blurred vision, you could see him in front of you, kneeling with a solemn smile.  He held out his arms and you allowed yourself to fall forwards, forcing your brother into the coffee table. "Hey tiger."

"Tora," You sobbed, voice almost taking on a wailing tone as you clutched onto him desperately as if someone would try and take him away from you again.

"It's okay," He hushed, smoothing your hair as tears fell from his eyes, dampening your shirt. "It's okay now."

Your sobs started quieting eventually, having cried yourself out. It left you feeling weak and vulnerable. You were thankful for when Mochi handed you a cup of tea when Kazutora pulled away.

"So how have you been?" He asked, moving to sit beside you on the couch, torso twisted to face you. His natural black hair fell to his shoulders, framing his face and drawing out the gold in his eyes.

Sniffling, you nodded. "Yeah." Your voice was thick. "A bit emotional."

Kazutora nodded. His eyes flickered between Kakucho and Mochi. With them there, he wouldn't be able to talk to you about Mikey or Hanma.

"Yeah? What have you been doing?" He asked.

"Oh, medical. I was working in a little clinic a few... weeks back. Two months." You mumbled the last part to yourself.

Kazutora's eyes widened before a proud expression made its way to his face. "That's amazing!"

You smiled and nodded, "Yeah."