27

Chifuyu Matsuno thought of himself as a simple man.

Every morning at 6am he would wake up, make a coffee, read for a little and just get ready for the day. 7:30am would come around and he'd head downstairs, unlocking the door that kept the pet store smell away from his home.

He'd tend to the animals, feed them, clean and get the store ready to open at 9am.

He was very punctual and always opened on time.

At around 3pm in the afternoon, he'd close up for the day, go out for a walk with some of the animals he kept.

Namely the dogs as the cats had a whole playroom.

He'd go for a walk to the bakery around the corner, one he and Baji had often frequented. On days he was in a bad mood, he'd stop by for an eclair.

Sometimes he'd go visit Draken and Inui at their shop, stop in to say hello to Mitsuya while he was designing or go get ramen from the Kawata twins.

Any free time he had, he drowned out with meaningless, frivolous activities. Anything to keep the memories away, the hurt that followed him around every waking moment of every day.

The emptiness that permeated his stomach and leeched into his brain, leaving him in a constant pit of despair.

But there was a day he was waiting for and that day would come a lot sooner than he thought.

"Chifuyu Matsuno?" A oddly familiar voice spoke through the phone. Chifuyu frowned, leaning against his kitchen counter.

"Who is this?" He asked suspiciously.

"Now now, is that anyway to greet an old friend?" Immediately he knew who it was from the smugness of their tone.

"Hanma. What the hell do you want?" The psychotic laugh that travelled through his phone made him shiver in disgust.

"I believe we have a common interest, Chifuyu."

"Don't ever call again." Chifuyu hung up, immediately blocking the number, pressing a hand to his forehead as he sighed.

A sharp knock at the door made his eyes widen. He looked up before grabbing a knife from the knife block and readjusting his singlet. Opening the door, he was met with a terrifying sight.

"Baji-san?" The name slipped out of his mouth causing the sandy-eyed man to flinch. "Kazutora." Chifuyu corrected himself.

"It was quite rude of you to hang up on me, dontcha think ♡?" Hanma bent down to be in his field of view.

"How'd you even get in?" Chifuyu brandished his knife.

"Woah there, calm down buddy. We just wanna have a friendly chat. Why don't you let us in?" Hanma grinned, his eyes remaining cold and hostile.

Chifuyu glanced between the two criminals before sighing and opening the door for them.

—————

"I don't like how quiet Kurahikari has been." Ran sighed, watching Sanzu gulp down a couple of brightly coloured pills. "Share?"

Sanzu glared at him with a look of disgust. "Buy your own."

Kokonoi slapped his pen down on the table. "Shut it you two." He hissed.

"Oh come on Koko, you've lost all power with your scuff up with (Y/n)'s file." Rindou rolled his eyes as Kokonoi flipped him off.