Chapter 3

Manik's POV

No!! The last condition was not acceptable to me.

I can't do that.

" What?? Is it some kind of a joke?? "  I asked. Everyone looked shocked.

" No,  Mr Shah, I can assure you none of the conditions is any kind of joke. These conditions were given by your grandfather and you would have to fulfil each one of them. " The lawyer said calmly.

" But how can I agree to all this?? Especially the last one?? I don't even have any experience with that... I don't know anything about it. No!! The last one is out of the question. Please get it changed. " I said firmly.
F
" Hey, what happened?? " Dad asked.

" I can understand that you are upset to see the conditions but I can't add or remove any clause of this. Only your grandfather could do it but unfortunately, we can't persuade him to change it now, until we find a time machine, which is practically not possible. " The lawyer said.

I was very annoyed with the way he was trying to be sarcastic.

" But why do I have to do it?? This is insane... I don't even have experience. "  I argued.

" What happened?? " Mihir asked. But I was too annoyed to answer so I gave the sheet to him.

" Sorry!! I can't accept the last condition. "  I said shaking my head.

" You have no choice, Mr Shah. Trust me it is not as difficult as it seems. "  The lawyer said.

" Is anyone going to tell us what is going on?? " Chachu asked.

Mihir read out all the conditions that were to be followed by me.

The last one came as a shock to everyone.

" He has to be a guardian to a girl child till she completes her education and gets a job and he has to get her married to a well-settled man. " Mihir told everyone.

" What?? Being guardian to a child?" Dad asked. The lawyer nodded.

" Whose child?? Where does this child come into the picture? "  Chachu asked.

" This is bull shit!! Not fair!! He has to do a lot to gain his share in the property. I was feeling bad for myself that I have to start working right away... But bhai has to go through a lot! He has to shift here, leaving his all social life. Learn everything about diamonds from the scratch. Work and learn here like a worker, get married within a year and this child... That is the last straw... "  Mihir said.

" I might manage other things but marriage within one year is too much... And being a guardian to a child is out of the question. I reject the conditions. " I said.

" Calm down! Manik. You are accepting it. It is your share of the property... How can you leave it like this?? It all will go to a trust. " Chachu said.

" But how will I manage a child? A girl child? No!! He should have given this task to mom or Chachi. They could easily take care of a child as they have reared all of us. But me?? A guardian to a girl child? Seriously? I am not even married..."  I argued.

" It's ok, we all will help you in managing the child. She can stay with us."   Chachi said.

" Sorry Mrs Shah, you can just help occasionally. You can't take over his responsibility. " The lawyer poked his nose again.

" Whose child it is?? And why does Manik has to take care of her? " Dad asked.

" Senior Mr Shah had been appointed the child's guardian after the sudden demise of her parents. He has been paying for her upbringing and education since then. Mr Shah left the instructions that She should get the best of everything as she is the daughter of one of his most trusted and talented craftsman. So till, Mr Manik Shah, gets her married to a decent and well-settled man, she is his responsibility. " He explained.