36.

Two empty mugs of coffee, a pile of books scattered pens and highlighters and a table top full of reading material and notes addressing someone's hardwork. Clock hands were reading 8 of morning. New day rituals were being performed in the kitchen with little hustle bustle.

"Mumma, I'm going." Mumbled the tired girl after yawning but leaving the newspaper Anwar looked up suddenly.

"Have breakfast." It was an order in the unchanged cold tone but Shifa shook her head, "I'm getting late"

"No you're not! Sit here." Anwar kind of glared at her while pushing the glass of milk towards her, though she didn't like milk but she also didn't like to start her day with a scolding so silently lift the glass and gulp it down in a single sip.

"Shifa, you're looking tired. Have you slept at night or not?" Coming out from the kitchen Maryam asked in her lovely tone and passed sandwich to Shifa then Anwar.

"I was studying whole night."

"Beta, there is only fifteen days left for your wedding and look at yourself... This dull face and these dark circles..."

"Mumma these dark circles will be fine but if I got red circles on my mark sheet, that's not going to be fine..." Replying that she took a bite and picked another sandwich which she packed for lunch. "Now I'm going." And Shifa rushed while holding her bag and mobile.

"Learn something from her." Anwar glared Bilal who was munching on sandwich while fixing his eyes on the mobile screen.

"What?? How to turn your face dull? Or how to gain dark circles? Papa I'm fine as I already am."

"Maryam do something about this boy!"

"As if it's in my hands" she also sat down for breakfast and Anwar restarted the newspaper reading, and suddenly he remembered something. "When will you go for shopping?"

"Kuch samajh nhi aa rha, time itna kam hai aur kaam itne zyada."

(In unable to manage so many works in this spam of time.)

"Lekin aap ko ye sab karne ki zarurat hi kya hai? Daniyal bhai aur unke parents ne to kuch bhi lene se mana kra hai na..." Bilal put his point and Anwar looked at him with disappointment.

(But why you have to think about this? Daniyal Bhai and his parents have refused to take anything.)

"Betiyon ko khali hath rukhsat nhi kra jata."

(Daughters are not meant to send off empty hands.)

"Khali hath rukhsat karne ke liye kon keh raha hai? Shifa aapi ko Duaye dijiye, advise dijiye aur thodi aqal bhi... Samaan dene se kya hota hai? Aur aap bhul gye kya Mehvish bhabi bhi to khali hath ayi thi is ghar mein. If you can accept a daughter-in-law without dowry then why can't you send off your daughter without that?" For the first time Bilal said something sensible but Anwar smack his head lightly.

( Who is telling to send off Shifa aapi empty handed? Give her your blessings, some advices and even a little wisdom too... Lifeless material is just waste of money. And don't you remember Mehvish bhabi? She also didn't bring these things on the same of dowry or gifts.)

"Badi badi baate karni aa gyi hai..." Maryam rolled her eyes but smiled too, her little boy was talking like a grown up.

(You've learned the art of aggrandizement.)

"Take this and go for shopping, Ask Maham to join you." Passing some money Anwar ordered Maryam in his cold tone which wasn't unchanged till now. "Buy gifts for Daniyal and his parents." Maryam nodded on the order and started listing down the things. It wasn't less than a dream for Maryam that she was preparing for her daughter's wedding. She was wondering how fast time ran and soon her little girl will be beautified as a bride. Her all prayers were starting as well as ending for her only.