64.

"Shifa, take medicine." Maryam put a few different coloured pills on her hand while passing her a glass half filled with water. "Now you're looking better, fever is also fine now." Touching the forehead Maryam added and Shifa nodded her head before passing the empty glass back to her mother. 

"I'm troubling you even after getting married." Shifa mumbled but Maryam furrowed and pulled her in a hug. "You're not a trouble for me, you're my little Jaan..." Shifa giggled and broke the hug.

"Little?" She asked and Maryam also giggled but nodded. "Don't you think this little Jaan is five feet and four inches tall...?" She again giggle and Maryam smiled when see Shifa fine after three days of high fever.

"Tell me what do you want to eat?" Asked Maryam and Shifa think about it, "Want Biryani?" The mother asked but she shook her head.

"Yellow Daal and rice. With mango pickle and cucumber." She demanded like a kid. Maryam sat down beside her and open her arms to embrace her daughter.

"You know what mumma when I cook everyone like that..." Shifa whispered while hugging her mother like a toddler and Maryam caressed her head with a smile...

"Hmm... That's good."

"But I miss daal and rice made by you. No matter how well I cook, I can't cook daal better than you." She muttered and Maryam kept caressing her head.

"Shifa" slowly stroking her head Maryam called her and Shifa nodded in response without opening her eyes. "May I ask you one thing?"

"Hmm-" she granted permission.

"Beta, what's the matter in between you and Daniyal? Why did you argue with him?" Asked Maryam in the same hushed tone but Shifa moved back with a jolt.

"Did Deni told you that I argued with him?" Asked Shifa and Maryam shook her head. "He didn't, but there is something wrong between you and Daniyal... You can share with me whatever it is." Shifa was silent, she understood that Daniyal didn't tell Maryam everything but he definitely told something.

"What Deni has told you?"

"Nothing."

"Mummy you can't ask this question if Deni won't tell you anything." This time Shifa was looking furious but Maryam grabbed her hand and lightly pressed it in between her both hands.

"Shifa beta, mark my words, I'm sharing my experience with you." Maryam told her and she nodded. "Mard ki fitrat mein na sun'na nhi hota... is baat ko jitna jaldi samajh jao utna behtar hai." Maryam smiled sadly while telling one of the harsh truths of which she had learnt from her life but Shifa furrowed, she couldn't agree with her mother in this matter.

(Men don't know how to listen to refusals. It's better for you to gulp this reality down.)

"Aurat ko shohor ki baat maan leni chahiye beta, zyada zidd karte hain to ladaiyan hi hoti hain."

(A woman should obey her husband, being stubborn only leads to arguments.)

"Chahe shohor ki baat maan'ne layaq hi na ho?" Shifa furrowed and pulled her hand away from Maryam's grip.

(Either husband's demand is acceptable or not?)

"From when you started getting angry, Shifa?" Maryam asked in a hushed tone which ignited fresh anger in Shifa

"Ye baat Deni ne kahi hogi na ki main gussa karti hu... unhone meri shikayat kari hai aap logo se?" Shifa was looking disappointed as well as angry but Maryam again grabbed her hand.

(Deni has told you that I get angry often. Right? He complained about me? Didn't he?)

"Itna gussa nhi karte..."