67.

Standing at the corner of the corridor Maryam was crying silently and praying for her husband's wellness. In the harsh days of life Anwar is like a pine tree for her who doesn't provide her with full shade but always stands there to support her. They never expressed their love in words but they silently know how much they love each other and how important they are for each other. The already broken lady was praying to get back her supporter because she couldn't live without him. She loves him endlessly, but silently.

"Bilal stop crying, be strong my boy." Daniyal pulled Bilal in a hug and patted his back but he was crying silently, just like a small child and Daniyal was handling him like a big brother. Everyone knows how much Bilal loves Anwar and how much Anwar loves him back, their bond was priceless and tonight when Anwar slipped down in his arms he forgot to take the next breath. The little Billu suddenly grew up, still behaving like a child who needed support from elders.

"These medicines are needed," a nurse came out from the emergency room and passed a paper towards Bilal, Daniyal grabbed it and patted Bilal on his shoulder. "Go and see Mummy. She needs you." With this statement he walked towards the exit not before glancing at his wife who was the only person not crying but she was on the edge of crying, her face was looking pale as well as shocked. Without any intention she looked towards the door from which the nurse came out and snatched the glance of Anwar. She didn't know why but suddenly felt little droplets slipping down on her cheeks. For whom was she crying? For a stepfather or her mother's husband? Or for a father who never loved her? She didn't know. But she knew one thing... The man laying on the hospital bed was an important part of her life. He was the first and only man whose attention she was trying to gain.

She could cry even more but suddenly her graze fell on Maryam who was crying silently sitting in the corner resting her head with the wall. Walking towards her she sat down beside mother.

"Don't cry mumma, papa will be fine soon." Shifa tried to console Maryam but sometimes hollow words don't work. Maryam's fear was breaking her from inside. Losing loved ones isn't easy for anyone, after losing her loving parents she was already afraid of this phase of the life.

No reply from Maryam made Shifa feel ignored but for the first time she could feel what her mother might feel when she has to make a balance between her husband and daughter. For the first time Shifa didn't feel hurt when Maryam was thinking about her husband and ignoring her. Now this girl knows the value of a husband in life.

"Mumma, how did it happen?  Papa was fine till yesterday." Shifa muttered and Maryam's silent tears converted into sobs. "I don't know what he is hiding but there's something for sure. He's not telling me what's bothering him." Maryam muttered while crying and Shifa also found herself crying, she couldn't see her mother in tears, meanwhile Daniyal came back and passed Maryam a bottle of water which she didn't grab. But Daniyal forcefully gave her some water and a sandwich because she didn't have dinner.

"Mummy, I've talked to the doctor, Papa's condition is not severe. He will recover soon." Daniyal sat on the other side of Maryam and gestured to Shifa to feed her the sandwich but this girl was already thinking of something else. The son-in-law was playing the role of an eldest son, she looked at Bilal and grabbed his wrist before pulling him along at the farthest corner of the corridor.

"Bilal, tell me honestly, what's bothering papa?" Shifa asked but Bilal was silent for a moment then shrugged while looking away "How would I know? Papa is not telling us about his problem." He replied but Shifa glared at him.

"It's impossible that papa hides something from you. I know very well if something is bothering him you would find it out, and he can't resist to inform you if you ask." It was a scolding from his sister and Bilal nodded.