A Mage and a Bard

Melody's magenta eyes witness William Bennett's upbringing through the magical golden orb.

William was born to James and Dorothea Bennett with a condition of complete blindness. His parents found that out when he opened his eyes for the first time.

The white pupils made his parent's eyes well up. A wild-haired Dorothea slowly waved a hand in front of his face, but he didn't respond to it. James tapped on the table and his head jerked in that direction. Despite the sadness building in her, she lifted her son up and kissed him on the cheek.

"You are my miracle, William. We won't give up on you."

"We're not rich, but we will support you the best we can," his father declared.

Baby William planted a kiss on her cheek. She beamed from ear to ear.

"You will be so handsome that the girls won't stop chasing after you," James stated while holding his wife and son.

"I will have to wave them off with a stick," Dorothea joked.

Every day was a new lesson to the future mage. When he heard crowing for the first time in the morning, his father explained what a rooster is and described the pigs they had. His parents taught him the names of food through touch and taste.

They also taught him about independence through having him do small chores like feeding the pigs and tending the fire with supervision. Later on, they trusted him to do it alone.

His favorite lesson was hearing his mother sing when she cooked. To him, it was angelic and comforting to hear. He sang along with her which she welcomed.

His father took him along to the market for the first time. Cinnamon, rosemary, sage, and roasted chicken infiltrated his nostrils as the market bumbled about. Vendors and customers were having different kinds of exchanges. Something about apples being more expensive before twisting into another exchange of the sunny weather they were experiencing today.

So many voices and noises to take in at once. He covered his ears and held onto his father's hand tightly. James picked him up and got him to a quieter place in an alley.

"I-I'm sorry, father," the six-year-old apologized.

"It must have been a lot for you. Would you like to go home?"

The little boy nodded. James took him by the wrist.

"You were brave today. I'm proud of you."

His son stopped walking which made him look back.

"Can we go back to the market?" his son mustered with some courage.

"Let's go then."

Some time passes...Thanks to his parents' support, he made friends with the children of other farmers who watch out for him when his parents are not around. He walked around with a stick to help him navigate new places. Other times, he would hold it as he memorized the way to get home or to a friend's place.

"Mother? Father? Is it possible for me to be a mage?"

His father stopped chucking some wood. "Did your friends bring that up?"

"They did."

"What did they tell you?" Dorothea asked.

"How mages can do anything with magic. Fighting dragons, saving damsels, becoming great heroes of legend. Like Phineas. Can I be like him one day?"

James glanced at his wife. His eyes asked her if they should encourage or be honest with him.

"It's possible," his mother expressed.