Iron Pt 3

A pair of soft hands stopped William from strumming his instrument.

"T-There's not enough time. We need to hide you right now!" warned the brunette elf he saved.

He let her lead him up the stairs to a room and she closed the door. Within minutes, metal bootsteps of knights entered the inn. Gasps of horror occupied the room from the grisly sight.

What followed next was the sound of vomiting from the bar owner. William and the elf kept quiet to hear their voices.

"Sir, is there anyone else who could have witnessed this?"

"No-No, sir. By the time I left, it was just them," the bar owner bluffed.

"What about your staff?"

"I told them to leave as soon as I left."

Will heard the pitter patter of something near the elf. She saw a mouse and covered her mouth from screaming. She leaned towards Will which made the wooden floor creak. She quickly got them through a hidden side door to hide in a small closet. They covered each other's mouths as they heard the clinking of metal rushing up the stairs. The wood of the next room broke open.

The bard's heart raced against his chest. The elf held him tight. If his heart was any louder, they would be found right away. The elf almost jumped as metal struck the floor.

"Damn rodent! Wasting our time. Let's round up the bodies," the captain of the knights expressed with urgency.

For the next hour, it was torture for Will and the elf. A layer of sweat formed on their faces in the crowded closet. The pairs of metal boots repeatedly entered and exited the bar downstairs.

"27 bodies in total," one of the officers said.

"This is madness. I wonder what made them want to take their lives."

"At least, no one else will be hurt by them. Get the cleaning tablets out."

The duo in the closet heard the sound of hissing from below them. Will's nostrils picked up a lavender scent that overpowered the iron smell.

After no longer hearing the horses, the bar maiden and Will got out of the closet. They could finally breathe. His body trembled from almost being caught. She kept embracing him to keep his heart rate steady. She had him sit on the bed to catch his breath.

"Are you alright?" the bar maiden asked while dabbing his head dry with a towel.

He broke down in tears from the emotional toll that was eating at him. "D-Did you see what I did?"

"I did."

He lowered his head. "I'm a monster."

She pulled in his head to listen to her heart. "You saved everyone from those monsters. You did the right thing", she reassured him. Hearing her hum a lullaby eventually calmed him down.

"Thank you."

"I'm the one who should say that too. You saved me down there."

He cracked a small grin before it disappeared. "I did this all for my parents. What would they think of me? Should I go to jail? Should-"

She silenced his lips with a finger. She then cupped his cheeks with her hands.

"Your secret is safe with me. Stay with me, handsome," she whispered into his ear with an alluring tone. She unbuttoned his stained shirt to let his skin breathe.

He used the back of his hand to softly touch her face. Plump lips, small nose, braided hair, pointed elf ears. He could feel her tremble from his touch.