CHAPTER ONE

"Firstly I'd love to thank my lovely wife for all the support she has given me. I can't imagine building all of this without her consistent support and love"

The crowd applauses and cheers in unison as my husband concluded his speech. I flashed him a smile as I also applaused.

I was always so good at this it was like I was born to do it. It felt like a calling how I managed to look so happy,so blessed,so lucky and so perfect. Half of the woman in this room envied me while the other half hated me for having such a "perfect" life and a "perfect" husband.

I make it look so easy and so real,I even scare myself sometimes how I've managed to live this fake life. I lost myself in the midst of it all.

''You just smile and look pretty,its that easy'' my mother in law used to tell me. Being the naive girl I was I believed her. Now 4 years later I'm an object that attends elegant events to smile, look pretty and pretend like I'm enjoying myself.

My husband approached flashing his million dollar smile. "I'm so proud of you my love"I plant a kiss on his cheek as I embraced him with a hug.

He flashes me a faint smile and looks over my shoulder.

"Mr Carter sir"I hear him say. I turned and was met by Mr Carter and his wife.

"Mr Gumede and his ever so gorgeous wife. This is a huge achievement,once again congratulations"

"Ah thank you chief. I mean it was not an easy journey but we finally managed to turn what started of as a dream to reality"my husband proudly said tugging his jacket. I glanced at the huge clock on the wall. You'd be surprised to know how boring and tiring it is to be in a room full of self entitled business tycoons. I loathed every moment of it.

"Thank you"Mr carter concluded their very brief conversation and my husband was on to the next person to "mingle" with. I with my very tight dress and my very high stiletto heels had to run behind him so that he can show me off. Thats the job of being a trophy wife. Having to smile and look clueless about anything,you can't have any input about business or anything revolving that cause its "not your place". You just look pretty and dumb basically.

The smooth live jazz band playing complimented the sophisticated chitter chatter of the guests. I helped myself to another glass of champagne from the waitresses going around with trays filled with beverages.

"This better be your last glass"he whispered closely to my ear and moved back looking at me with a smile pasted on his face. I nodded returning the fake and awkward smile I had been served. I forgot to tell you that all of this also comes with the controlling.

The rest of the night went on with guests disappearing out of sight as time passed. Soon the room was empty and it was time for us to go home.

My husbands launch was a success. His dream of building his very own luxurious hotel came to life. Unlike the other many businesses this was all his hard work from scratch with my help though even though I'd never get the credit but yes,from the floor plan right to the interior design I was the one who had to envision this whole thing but I know better than to expect credit or a little acknowledgment.

After a brief talk with the hotels manager while I waited for him on one of the chairs he finally signalled to me with his head that we can go home.

~~~

The moment I plumped myself on the couch I unzipped my dress and let out a breath of relief.

"I'm so proud of you babe,tonight was perfect"

"Yeah. It would've been better if you didnt spend every minute of it drowning yourself in champagne, you know the only thing I wanted from you was just support that's all but you decided to make this whole event your night,you knew that in that event every journalist was there watching every move we made but no you couldn't careless"he says taking of his blazer.

"What do you mean. Baby I'm not even drunk" I chuckle rolling my eyes.

"So getting drunk was the goal huh?"he asks arching his eyebrow with a serious straight face. I looked at him thinning my eyes.

"Haybo Mazwi are you being serious?"

He scoffs angrily pinching his nose. "Actually why am I even surprised you will never change,class and self respect is something money can't buy,I guess that's something you will never learn"

"you really being unnecessary right now"

"You don't get it do you? There is m-

His phone rings and he exhales as he grabbed it sliding his finger across the screen.

I rolled my eyes standing up and making my way to the kitchen to drink water.

He walked in the kitchen,wearing his jacket.  "There is something I need to take care of and I dont know how long will it take so don't wait up"

"What is it?"

"Its business"

He walked out. I sighed rolling my eyes. I drank my water and made my way upstairs to take a shower,after  a relaxing shower I got dressed in my night dress and gown, as I did my facial care routine my sister called.

"Mntase (sis)"

"Girrrrl I just saw the pics from today and you looked like a whole meal"

I chuckled. "Whats new there"

"Bitch I was like you atee that"

"Girrrl its an everyday thing like don't I ever. I needed to be the best dressed cause job ke job ,I need to serve people what they want"

"Purrr. Anyways let me ruin your mood a little,your mom called today and she was angry that you werent answering her calls"

"Wheee she knows exactly why I didn't answer her call, the last time we spoke we fought over Yandiswa's drinking problem yazi I don't understand your mother cause Yandiswa is the eldest out of the three of us and yet she treats her like a baby,instead of convincing Yandiswa to go to rehab she wants me to send her money so she can do a ritual ceremony for her as if that will help"

"That's what I said cause I told her that this has nothing to do with ancestors, Yandiswa has mental health issues and this whole ritual will be useless but it was like the more I disagreed with her the more she shouted at me"

"You know what I'm done at this point I don't care, if its money she wants I will send it to her and she will do whatever she wants to do with it cause its quite obvious that I'm just a money cow to her"

"Sis don't say that you know she loves us"

"Yamkela I know but Im tired of her calling me and asking me money for things that concern a whole elder"

I hear her exhale. "That's why I keep saying when I have money I'm gonna move to Dubai or Cuba and go practice there,far from this family and its  drama"

"Yes girrl, that time we will be calling you Dr.Gonda"

"Purrr"

We both laugh.

"Anyways girl let me get back to studying and please call your mother or send her a text please I dont have energy for drama and whenever there's something between y'all I'm always involved then I have to be the mediator"

"Fine...I will call her tomorrow"

"That would mean a lot"

"No big deal and thanks for the call,you have no idea how much I needed it"

"Anytime"

"Bye"

She drops the call and I finished with my skin care routine before getting in bed and zooming out into sleep immediately.