CHAPTER 20

The following morning I woke up early to take a jog cause I needed to blow off some steam and this complex seemed perfect for a jog just how beautiful and quiet yet safe it is. It's just beautiful, quiet and it feels safe at the same time like I've made up my mind I'm permanently moving here and I need to find me an available apartment if the one we currently staying in is not available.

As I jogged back I came across dabawo parking a 2018 Maserati GranTurismo on the same spot she parked yesterday. I walked up to her as she stepped out of the beast carrying a paperbag.

"from an Audi to a Maserati?" I remarked with my eyes dancing between the car and her.

"I mean why not?" she asks shrugging before giggling.

"dabawo how?" I question folding my arms looking at her.

She just laughed walking past me, making her way inside the building.

I followed behind her as we made our way to the elevator that took us to our floor.

I questioned her the whole way and she didn't even budge but just laughed at me.

"Yamkela can you tell your sister to stop practicing her journalism skills on me" she says as we walked in making our way to the kitchen.

"What's going on?" Yamkela asks standing up from the couch and joining us at the kitchen.

"dabawo just pulled up in a beast of a Maserati"

"damn"  Yamkela remarks looking at her.

"guys it's just a car come on"

"a Maserati is not just a car" I make clear.

"trust me it is and enough about cars guys, there's something important that I want us to talk about" she says looking at me.

"please don't do that I really can't do with bad news right now" I pleaded looking at her.

"let's go and sit down and Yamkela please make us some coffee. We will need it" she says before leading the way to the lounge . I felt my heart dropping to my abdomen as I followed behind her. We sat down and she fixed her sitting position to look at me.

"look I'm not telling you this to scare you but to prepare you for what's coming so promise me you won't make any decisions based out of fear"

I nod my head without saying anything.

"yesterday I received a call from your mother in law and don't even ask me how she got my umber cause I don't know but she literally offered to give me a 1 million rand if I convince you to drop this whole divorce thing. What I found strange is why would they offer so much money just so you can stay in your marriage? And what's even more weird is that  its not Mazwi who made the call it's her"

"Now it all makes sense...she has always been the one who controlled our marriage and made sure that we stay married, that woman would go as  far as making me believe that I'm the one who made Mazwi treat me the way he does just so I can feel guilty and stay with Mazwi and just endure everything he did to me. She wanted me to be with him more than he did and I never understood why but I still ignored it cause I thought he was just looking out for his son. I'm sure she offered umama the same money and that's why she called me yesterday all boiled up....to her it has always been about the money". I look at her."Its okay if you take the money I won't judge you, if my own mom can do that I don't expect any other person to not"

"mntanam I have that times 10 in my bank account and even if I didn't I wouldn't embarrass myself or my family like that, that's basically saying here take the money cause that's what your nieces life and happiness are worth, a million. I'm just wondering why? "