CHAPTER 19

Dabawo came to a halt at a luxurious complex infront of a block of apartments. I looked at her as she took out her phone texting something.

"I thought you stayed in Mthatha full time" I say looking at her. Dabawo is on her third marriage and doesn't have a single child, I've heard rumors from my mom that she is married to a notorious drug lord from Mthatha and even though I know she is much capable of that a part of me felt like mom is saying all those things because of what happened between her and my dad's family...but now I don't know what to think.

"what makes you think I don't" she asks still focused on her phone.

"I mean you drove here like you know this city in and out. Even I never been in this side of the city"

She chuckles softly. "ask no questions and I will tell you no lies, wait for me here I'm coming back just now ladies" she says before getting out of the car.

"was mom right about everything she said about her?" I ask whispering, turning to look at Yamkela.

She shrugged, shaking her head. "I don't know and I don't think we want to know"

We watched her as she walked inside the building. After what we assume to be 20 mimutes if not less she walked out talking over the phone. She waited for a few minutes and when the call ended she walked to her side of the car opening the door.

"guys let's quickly take your things inside, there's somewhere I need to be fast" she says before closing the door again. We got out of the car and went to the boot to fetch our luggage before walking inside the building, we got into a lift that took us to the fifth floor.

We finally got to the apartment and it actually looked nice, small but nice. The kitchen and lounge is an open plan then a single bedroom and a bathroom. It's actually quite cosy and cute but the again how did she manage to pull this off in such a short space of time. It actually looks like someone lives here cause it's fully furnitured.

"I managed to get this space for now and trust me I know it's small but it's what I could do within the space of time I had. I would rather y'all stay here than that huge house that's full of toxicity and those belittling hypocrites " she says her face changing into a frown at the thought of them.

"I'm personally happy, Yolanda?" Yamkela asks looking at me.

"I'm also good"

"Good. Andizokwazi ubasahlala kukho apho ndileqa khona kodwa (I won't be able to stay for long cause there's somewhere I need to be but) I'm sure you'll settle in just fine" she says checking the time on her watch.

"no biggie" Yamkela says making her way to the bedroom with the luggage.

"dabawo I just wanted to take this opportunity and thank you... for everything , it really means alot to have someone to stand up for me like that and you didn't have to come all this way and go through such trouble for us but you did and thank you for that"

"It's my job to protect you and right now I want to make up for lost time so this is literally the bare minimum. I will order some pizza for you guys for supper cause I don't want you using that man's money for anything and don't do anything stupid like picking up his calls or calling him or you'll have me to deal with. I will see y'all tomorrow" she says all this while heading for the door.

"wait, you not staying here with us?"

"sweetheart I can't sleep without my cuddles"

"isn't your husband b-

" Yolanda you ask alot of questions, byee" she says before closing the door behind her. I shook my head trying to process what just happened.

"let's try to clean up this place so we can settle in" Yamkela says bringing me back to reality.