Final Exam

A screenful of static, which resolves into a school crest. The field is hexagonal, black-and-white checkered within a gold border. A large H is superimposed on it in gold script; across the bottom is a white banner bearing the letters "H.A.E.Y.P." Behind the crest, a square corridor can be seen, with yellow walls, ceiling, and floor marked in a honeycomb pattern. A cool female voice begins to narrate.

Narrator: The H.I.V.E. Academy for Extraordinary Young People is proud to introduce...

A platform rises into view in front of the crest, carrying three young individuals on it to block the crest. One is a very short, bald boy in a jumpsuit; a pair of goggles is propped on his forehead, and assorted controls are mounted at chest and waist level. Behind him is a very tall, beefy fellow with collar-length brown hair and a small beard.

His sleeveless shirt and pants are black, and studded gold bands cross his chest and run around his shoulders. Off to the right of these two, our left, is a slim girl in an off-the-shoulder black dress trimmed with blue ruffles, black-and-blue striped stockings, and black platform boots with blue soles. Her lavender hair is bound into two large horn-like tufts that stick up above her ears, her catlike eyes are the same color, and her skin is an odd shade of bluish-pink. A small pendant hangs from a black ribbon that encircles her throat.

Narrator: ...this year's top graduates.

They leap from the platform; the big one and the girl drop out of the frame, and the camera zooms in on the runt. The big one's motion reveals studded gold wristbands.

Narrator: Gizmo, the boy genius whose intellect can conquer any problem with an inventive solution.

During this line, cut to an extreme close-up of his chest control; he presses a button, and the camera pulls back as a pair of large metal wings sprouts from his back. He takes hold of the device at his waist, and the wings respond and carry him into the air.

Lasers pop out from the wall panels and open fire against him, but he easily avoids all the shots and goes for another button. Now a small missile launcher comes up between the wings and unleashes a salvo that destroys all the guns with remarkable efficiency.

Gizmo lands on the platform he and his classmates originally stood on, then glides away as two large robots step in from portals that open up in the walls. The girl takes his place.

Narrator: Jinx, the enchanting sorceress whose powerful hexes mean bad luck for her enemies.

During this line, she extends her arms to both sides and does a 360-degree twirl, throwing off a wave of energy that causes a couple of wall panels to fall away. She leaps high off the platform, and the panels crash down on the robots' heads. Two others have moved in during this sequence and meet the same fate. She backflips down the corridor a short distance.

Three large laser cannons emerge from recessed panels in the floor, but the giant drops into view and bends its the barrel of one of them as if it were a piece of taffy.

Narrator: And Mammoth, the genetically enhanced giant whose unstoppable strength speaks for itself.

During this line, he tears the cannon from its moorings and does an Olympic-style hammer throw to sling it away. It skids across the floor and wrecks the other two. Close-up of him, looking very pleased with himself; a robot looms up behind the strongman and catches him in its huge hands. Gizmo jumps onto its back and attaches a small unit.

Close-up of this as it screws itself down, sending up a small puff of smoke, then pull back. During the next line, Gizmo jumps free and sparks start to fly from the head; he has hot-wired the thing to put it out of action.