S5: Snowblind

Opening shot: a stretch of forest at night, half-buried under the thickly falling snow. An enormous black bear rears up with a growl not typical of a predator about to bring down a meal. As it turns to look worriedly toward its hindquarters, the camera pans in that direction to show the cause of its unease, one leg is caught in a steel trap. A weak pull at the chain staked into the ground; pull back to a longer shot of the animal, showing a boot planted near the camera.

The owner of said footwear approaches the frightened bear, revealing a thick green parka whose hood has been raised to hide the face entirely. When it speaks, the voice is male, with a Russian accent: we are most likely somewhere in Siberia. This is Leonid Kovar, though he will not be called by name for some time.

Kovar: Do not fear, Bishka. I have come to help you.

It growls at him a bit more, then relents and holds the caught limb forward; Kovar kneels and gets it freed easily. The trap is tossed aside as the bear bounds off into the forest, but a new, older male voice cuts in abruptly.

Voice 1: He steals our catch! Get him!

During this line, the camera cuts to a longer shot of the kneeling man; not far away is a group of four others, including the one who is speaking. They are fur trappers whose latest prize has just gotten away, and the bear's savior straightens up into a run as they charge toward him. After a few hundred yards, he skids to a stop in the snow and the camera cuts to an overhead view, panning ahead slowly. Now he is standing at the edge of a ravine so deep and dark that its bottom cannot be seen from here. Head-on view as the angry trappers close in.

Kovar: Please! I do not wish to hurt anyone.

Laughter; clubs are brandished. We now see that the head man, the one who spoke earlier, wears sunglasses.

Head trapper: He does not with to hurt us. No, my friend, it is you who will feel pain. And this is something we do quite well.

The shadows within the parka hood glow bright red.

Kovar: While you have the chance... run!

Close-up of the stunned head trapper, zooming in on the red-spot reflection in his lenses.

Head trapper: It is you!

Cut to behind Kovar. A solid wall of red energy erupts from the snow just behind him, scaring all four chasers into a retreat as he screams in agony. In a head-on view, their boots pound past the camera, just ahead of a small avalanche that thunders out to fill the screen. Snap to black.
.
.
.
.
.

===============================

Opening shot: a slow pan across a ravaged Russian cityscape. Stop on a ridge at the outskirts, where the T-Ship is parked, and zoom in slowly on the Titans standing next to it. The storm has abated here.

Cyborg: The signal we got musta been a distress call.

Dissolve to a close-up of the group as the zoom continues. Cyborg is wearing the heavy coat, scarf, and cap he sported during his transmissions in "For Real", he was calling from here, apparently. Robin has donned a hooded tunic/coat with green long sleeves, in addition to thick black gloves.

Beast Boy has changed into a padded, zippered outfit with hood, and has snow goggles propped on his forehead. Raven's winter ensemble is nearly all blue and lined with white fur: cloak, boots, gloves, jacket under the cloak. She is wearing black thermal underwear as well. Mason wearing an all grey winter suit with goggles which resembled his mentor.