S1 Finale: Apprentice

The episode to a pure white field, which resolves into Robin's eye as the camera pulls back to frame him running flat out. Pull back again; he is chasing Slade across a rocky landscape under the starry night sky. Pan across the area as the masked villain leaps across a deep crevasse, then to a rock formation that completely blocks the view.

When the camera passes the far edge, it has moved to a close-up of the two runners. With Robin still close behind him, Slade bounds over another fissure and drops over the edge of a mesa before making a beeline for a high, flat peninsula studded with several tower-like formations.

There is a narrow path leading to it, but he forgoes this in favor of a single long, high jump. Robin does likewise, landing in a crouch, and comes up for a wary look around. Slade steps out from behind a rock.

Slade: Dangerous behavior, Robin. You must be very eager to see me. I'm flattered.

Robin: I'm not here to see you. I'm here to stop you.

Slade: Hmm. But how can you stop me, when you don't even know what I'm planning?

Robin: Like this.

He rushes in with a savage kick; Slade dodges easily, and the follow-up punch only smashes a chunk from one of the towers. The two spare a bit, after which Robin finds himself on the defensive and tries a charging punch. Slade catches his fist and hurls him against a tower, but Robin rebounds quickly and tries a punch that pulverizes more rock. One strike after another misses its mark but sends up clouds of stone dust.

Slade's eye glows briefly during this string of attacks; at the end of it, he lands a powerful kick that staggers the Titan very badly. He is soon on his feet and fighting back, but his punches are blocked and he takes one that bowls him over again.

When he gets up this time, he has a birdarang in each hand and lets them fly. Slade stands his ground, arms crossed in front of himself; there is a quick flash and clang of metal on metal, and we see each weapon in turn smash into a tower.

The formations begin to crumble, and the camera pulls back to an overhead view to show them all toppling in a cloud of dust that covers the entire area. Close-up; Robin's silhouette appears within the haze, and he steps into the open to survey the place. His eyes pop when he looks off to his right; the dust clears as he sidles off that way.

Slade: Excellent, Robin. We appear to be evenly matched and equally ruthless.

Back to Robin, now easing around within the dust, on the end of this.

Slade: Not surprising. You and I are so very much alike.

As he finishes this line, the dust clears to show him standing behind Robin; the latter whirls to face him.

Robin: I'm nothing like you!

He throws an uppercut that connects squarely with the metal-covered jaw and sends Slade crashing to the ground.

Robin: You're a criminal, a psychopath! All you care about is destruction!

Slade: And all you care about, you destroy.

He gestures off to one side; Robin looks in that direction and sees the shattered debris left from the brawl. The base of one smashed pinnacle is shaped like Cyborg's head, and as the camera pans across the rest of the rubble, broken likenesses of the other five Titans are seen.

Robin: No! Who are you?!

He reaches toward the face. Cut to an empty patch of sky; the mask is flung up and away, and the camera cuts to a close-up of him and zooms in. He is staring in bug-eyed shock, and a shift to just behind him shows why the face behind that smooth expanse of steel is his own. The duplicate laughs heartily in Slade's voice as the camera dissolves to a long overhead shot of the ruined peninsula and pulls back slowly.