S2: Fear Itself

The episode opens to the night sky, filled with dark storm clouds and flashes of lightning. Tilt down to the exterior of a video store in Jump City; a crowd of panicking customers bursts out and breaks for cover.

Inside, a clerk screams and backs across the floor. Some large thing with many long, sparking appendages rears up before her, causing her to stumble down, and the camera cuts to behind her to show these as coaxial cables. Tilt up to reveal the main body, a large television set whose static-filled screen frames an evilly grinning face with narrowed red eyes.

It brings two of the cable ends together, striking an arc, and leans toward the imperiled young woman; she cries out and shields her face. Now we see a close-up of a remote control, its front end fashioned into a menacing creature's head, held in someone's hand. The press of a button stops the big screen in its tracks, wipes out the static, and leaves just a blank expression on the face.

Pan to the remote's user, standing atop the shelves near a wall of video screens, and cut to a close-up. Fat, long straggly hair, dressed after the fashion of Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars, a dark gray overcoat topping off the ensemble: this is Control Freak.

Control Freak: Okay. Either you admit that Warp Trek Five, which reunited the entire original cast of the classic TV series, deserved to be on your "Favorite Rentals" list, or...

When he says the movie name, he points the remote at the screens and brings up an image of a green-skinned starship crewman to make his point. After he finishes the line, he aims the device toward the o.c. television monster; it comes back to life. The clerk scuttles back toward the candy counter.

Clerk: Please! I-I don't even know what Warp Trek is!

Control Freak: And that, my little tribble, is why you must be destroyed!

Another button pressed; the screen roars, strikes sparks from two cables, and reaches toward her. She screams and dives over the counter to get out of striking range. Close-up of her, behind the display and looking up fearfully; tilt up to show the thing floating steadily toward her hiding place. Before it can get to her, though, a sonic cannon blast drives it off to one side.

Control Freak covers his face as dust flies back from the area of its collision with the far wall. He looks up with a gasp; cut to inside the entrance, where the Titans have arrived on the scene and Cyborg has his weapon at the ready. Pan slowly across the group as he disarms. The overweight movie nut hops nimbly from one shelf to the next, approaching them.

Control Freak: Well, well, well. If it isn't my old arch-nemesis...ses...the Teen Titans!

Beast Boy: Um, yeah.

Mason: Who the hell is this guy?

Beast Boy and Cyborg shrugs, equally puzzled, and the trio get their answer when the screens all come up showing an image of Control Freak at the click of his remote. Close-up of one.

Control Freak: I am the master of monsters! I am your darkest nightmares come to life! I am...Control Freak!

The genuine article stands up into view on the end of this and produces applause and clapping with the right button.

Raven: A couch potato with a souped-up remote. I'm petrified.

Control Freak: You will be. You will be.

Pull back. He laughs and fires up the controller; near Raven, a video drop box grows considerably and turns its deposit slot into a toothy mouth. She gasps and backs up from its expanding shadow as it growls in a very rusty manner. Close-up of her wide-eyed, startled face, zooming in slowly, and fade to black.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.