𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐡 𝟕𝐭𝐡, 𝟏𝟗𝟖𝟔. 𝐈𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐅𝐫𝐢𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐚𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐧𝐨𝐨𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝟏𝟓 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐧𝐭...

Chris and I were at the front counter. I was helping him write some stuff down when my momma was outside, helping a customer with their vehicle. The day was going by slow and there surprisingly wasn't a lot of customers coming by today. There was at least 5 customers but after that, no one even seemed to call to get a vehicle towed in or an oil change.

I had my chin resting in the palm of my hand as my elbow was on the counter. I was bored and didn't want to help Chris do math anymore. Math is boring. I hate math.

"I'm gonna use the restroom. I'll be right back." I slide off the stool and was about to walk to the back to try and hide from Chris but someone enters the small building. Chris picks up his head and I turn as we both check to see who it was. It was just momma.

"Hey, Eddie's outside. Said he needs help with something on his van." She says, pointing her thumb behind her.

"Oh, okay..." I brought my hands up to my head, adjusting the bandana I had holding my hair back as I walk out and see Eddie with a big smile on my face. Keep it cool, Ronnie. I tried holding back the smile just a bit so I wouldn't look creepy approaching him.

Eddie hopped out of his van, dropping a cigarette on the ground then turned and looked over at me. Once our eyes met, we both walked up to each other. He rubbed the big smile off his face too, trying to keep it cool.

He looked like he had bedhead, guessing he didn't do anything to fix it much. Eddie wore his well-known black leather jacket with a denim jean vest to drape over it. Underneath his leather jacket, he had an Iron Maiden band shirt with some dark blue ripped jeans and a pair of his still new Reebok shoes.

"Hey, Roulette." I watched the smoke leave his mouth as he talked and finished his sentence off with a smile. He stops in his steps and I do the same.

"Howdy, Munson." I smiled, tucking my hands in the back pocket of my overalls.

"What'd you need done today?" I asked and he looks behind him at his van.

"Uhh....uuhhh....." Eddie rubbed his chin while leaning back, still looking at his van and thinking. I could tell he just shaved. I huffed out of my nose, holding back my laugh.

"The- the ba...uh..." Eddie snaps his fingers while pointing. It's like his brain just gave up on letting his sentence out.

"The battery?" I asked and he snaps his finger at me now.

"The battery." He repeated. I couldn't help but snort at him.

"What?"

"Nothing, Munson. Let's check out your battery." I nudged his side and we walked over to the front of his van. I popped the hood and we both looked inside.

"Everything looks fine to me." I told.

"Hmm, I dunno...are you doing your job right?" I punched his shoulder playfully and he pretended like it hurt.

"I'm starting to think you just came over here to bug me."

"Am I really bugging you?" Eddie wondered in a serious tone. I chuckled at him.

You could never bother me, Eddie.

"No, I'm just playing." I told instead. I moved back and Eddie does the same. I close the hood of his car.

Eddie looks down, rolling a rock under his shoe. I nudge his shoulder with my fist and he picks his head up to look at me. We smile at each other.

"What's on your mind, Munson?"