𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐡 𝟏𝟔𝐭𝐡, 𝟏𝟗𝟖𝟔. 𝐈𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐒𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝟔 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐧𝐭...

I woke up at around 6 in the morning. The sun wasn't out yet, which meant it was still a bit dark outside.

I sit up from bed and look over to my left, seeing a shirtless Eddie asleep next to me. I lean over, moving his bangs out of the way to kiss his forehead them moved back and got off the bed. I walk over to the kitchen, getting myself a glass of water and drinking it. I look over at the front door, seeing that it was unlocked. I peek over to my momma's room, seeing that she wasn't in there. I put the glass in the sink and walk outside, closing the door behind me.

I look around then spot momma and uncle Wayne sitting at the picnic table, smoking cigarettes. I wrap my arms around my body and step down the porch, making my way over to them.

"Girl, where are your shoes?" Wayne says and I smile.

"Mornin, sweetpea." Momma says.

"Mornin..." Was all I said. She pats a spot between her and Wayne. I step over, sitting next to them.

"So, I was thinking we could have dinner all together tonight. What do you think?" I turn my head, looking over at my momma as she nudges her arm into me before taking a drag of her cigarettes.

"Whatever you want, momma." I rasped out while bring a hand up to rub my tired eyes.

"Gotta catch me before I go to work." Wayne says.

"What time you go to work?" Momma asked and we both turn our heads towards him.

"Need me comin in at 7:30ish maybe 8. I can't remember specifically but somewhere around that time." He answers and I hear momma hum.

"Where's Eddie? I noticed he wasn't home." Wayne asked.

"He slept over. He said sum bout not wanting to be home alone." Momma tells him then shrugs and takes another drag from her cigarettes and Wayne does the same before flicking the ashes off.

"I've been trying to get some days off but it's like I'm the only best worker they got."

"I told you, Wayne. You should just come work at the shop with me. Get paid pretty good. Ronnie over here, worked all week plus Saturday and got 500 dollars."

"Mmm, I'll think about it." He says.

Wayne and momma kept talking and I just sat between them, listening as I still felt a bit tired. Then the sun started rising. Momma checks her watch.

"7:58. I gotta go. Someones suppose to be picking up a car today." Momma flicks her cigarettes and slides off the picnic table. She turns and leans close, kissing me on the temple.

"I'll see you later, sweetie." She says then moves to Wayne, giving him a side hug.

"Alright, momma. See you. I love you."

"Love you, more." She says.

"Bye, Wayne." She starts walking off while waving us bye.

"Bye, Bonnie." He says and we watch momma walk over to her car, crawling through the window then turning it on.

Then we watched her drive off. Wayne and I sat there. It was quiet for a little until Wayne started talking to me.

"How's it going, Ronnie? How's school?" He asked.

"Eh, school is just...school." I told.

"Graduating this year. You excited?" He nudges his knee into mine and I crack a smile.