𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐡 𝟖𝐭𝐡, 𝟏𝟗𝟖𝟔. 𝐈𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐒𝐚𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝟏𝟒 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐧𝐭...

The crowd was wild. People whistled and cheered at us. I was sweating from how humid and sticky the air was inside the bar. I give my guitar to Cameron so she could put it up as I walked over to the piano. I take a seat, adjusting myself before placing my fingers on the keys. I push down on them quickly, beginning the next song while watching the crowd. I smiled at the way they all started cheering and jumping. They know what's coming. We begin playing the song. I lean close to the mic and started singing for the drunks.

Hey, kids, shake it loose together
The spotlight's hitting something
That's been known to change the weather
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight
So stick around

I bob my head to the rhythm.

You're gonna hear electric music
Solid walls of sound
Say, Candy and Ronnie. Have you seen them yet?
Ooh, but they're so spaced out
B-B-B-Bennie and the Jets
Oh, but they're weird and they're wonderful
Oh, Bennie. She's really keen
She's got electric boots, a mohair suit
You know I read it in a magazine, oh
B-B-B-Bennie and the Jets

I look over at Cameron who was looking over at me while smiling. Her hair stuck to her face and neck as she was sweating too. So was Emily. It's been a long night.

Hey, kids, plug into the faithless
Maybe they're blinded
But Bennie makes them ageless
We shall survive, let us take ourselves along
Where we fight our parents out in the streets
To find who's right and who's wrong
Say, Candy and Ronnie, have you seen them yet?
Ooh, but they're so spaced out
B-B-B-Bennie and the Jets
Oh, but they're weird and they're wonderful
Oh, Bennie. She's really keen
She's got electric boots, a mohair suit
You know I read it in a magazine
B-B-B-Bennie and the Jets

I slam my fingers onto the keys, playing hard before going just a tad bit soft. Everyone clapped along, making me smile hard. I look at the crowd, then I see him. Nolan. And he was with Jessica, who had her arms crossed. She didn'tlook pleased. My smile faded and I gulp my nerves down as I kept playing before singing, closing my eyes and trying not to let them get to my head. But they're watching me.

Oh, Candy and Ronnie. Have you seen them yet?
Ooh, but they're so spaced out
B-B-B-B-B-Bennie and the Jets
Oh, but they're weird and they're wonderful
Oh, Bennie. She's really keen
She's got electric boots, a mohair suit
You know I read it in a magazine
B-B-B-Bennie and the Jets

I continue singing the rest of the song, hearing them clap and sing along made me feel better.

After just a few more songs finishing up our performance and packing Emily and Cameron's stuff into her car, we went back to have a few drinks.

"Shots on me ladies." The bartender says as she puts three shot glasses down and started pouring some tequila in them.

"If shots are on you then you gotta do one with us." Cameron says.

"Yeah, c'mon." Emily says and the bartender smiles.

"Alright, alright." She takes another shot glass out, pouring some and we all grabbed a glass.

"Cheers." She says and we all chant it, clinking our glasses together then taking the shot. I shiver at the taste before coughing.

Emily shakes her head as Cameron cringes at the taste and slams her glass down, banging it on the table three times before shouting.