𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

𝗪𝗔𝗥𝗡𝗜𝗡𝗚: 𝗠𝗨𝗥𝗗𝗘𝗥, 𝗚𝗢𝗥𝗘

𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐡 𝟐𝟓𝐭𝐡, 𝟏𝟗𝟖𝟔. 𝐈𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐓𝐮𝐞𝐬𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠.

It was 6 o'clock in the morning. I couldn't sleep or stop thinking about the letter.

Cameron was asleep next to me. I slowly slipped out of her bed, pulling the blanket over her and replacing myself with a pillow. I walk over to her dresser, taking her keys. I grab my walkie-talkie and flashlight. I snuck out through her window and went to her car. I got in, starting it up and reversed out of the driveway. I left to the school. It was still a bit dark out.

I park the car in the empty parking lot, hopped out and clip the walkie-talkie to the waistband of the borrowed pants then grab the flashlight.

"Alright, let's get this letter..." I flick the flashlight on and start making my way to the entrance.

The front doors didn't open when I pulled on them. I curse under my breath. The gym is always open to all the athlete people. I jog around the school, making my way to the other side as I reach the gym. I enter the building, using the flashlight for a source of light to shine around the gym to see. It's dark and very quiet. I walk through the court, entering the hall now. I shine the light to my left then right, looking around. Nothing. I proceed with my quest to find my locker. I wondered around the halls, shining my flashlight on the lockers and checking the numbers. When I find it, I twist the knob, putting the combination in. It doesn't open the first time.

"Don't get frustrated. Stay calm." I assure myself, taking a breath and trying the combination again. It opens now.

"Good..." I praise myself. I see a letter and grab it then shut the locker. I put the letter in my back pocket and look around.

"Now let's get outta here..." I start heading toward the front exit now.

I push one of the double doors open, walking out the school and jog over to the car, getting in. I lift my hips up as I take the letter out of my back pocket. I unfold it and use the flashlight to read it. I read his letter in my head using his voice. I took his words to heart. If only he could tell me all this in person. I teared up and sniffled. I wipe my eyes then laughed and sniffled again.

"Oh, Eddie...you big dumb idiot..." I put the flashlight down, shutting my eyes and held the paper to my chest. I take a breath in then lean my head back.

"Big stupid dumb idiot..." I wipe my nose then fold the letter back up and slipped it in my back pocket again.

I turn the flashlight off, tossing it in the passenger seat then turned the car on. I sigh, wiping my eyes then start messing with the radio. I got on an old music station and listened. Then it played the song Eddie was talking about in his letter. I let out a chuckle then sniffle as I feel tears fill my eyes again. I sat there, listening to the lyrics.

When I returned back to Cameron's, parking the car in the driveway and sneaking to the side of her house to climb through her window. I closed the window and turned around to see Cameron sitting up from her bed.

"Ronnie?" She called out while rubbing her eye.

"Hey...sorry I um...I just needed some air..."

"What time is it?" She asked and I check my watch.

"7:23..." I answered. She falls back on her bed and pulls the blanket over her head.

I walk over, placing my walkie-talkie, flashlight and keys on the dresser and getting into bed with her. Cameron turns to face me.