Chapter 37-Dawn and a Plan

Newt POV

The sun rose a short while later and lit up the ruined camp. We gathered the bodies in a line and covered them with plastic tarps. I had not yet had a chance to talk to Alex about the strange girl yesterday, she was still unconscious. Vince took one last long look at Mary's body before he covered her body with an old blanket. My group of friends wandered around, offering help if it was needed. I picked up a Wicked helmet and set it down on a crate.

"What do we do now?" Frypan asked quietly.

"Now we pick up what's left of us and stick to the plan, we get you kids to the Safe Haven. Then we start over," Vince said, standing up.

Thomas shouldered a backpack and stood up, "I'm not going with you. Vince, Alex and Harriet looked at him like he'd gone crazy.

"What?" Vince said.

"I made a promise to Minho," Thomas explained. "I wouldn't leave him behind, I have to go after him."

"Hey kid, look around you. Alright? Wicked just destroyed us. You think about where you're headed."

"I'm not asking anyone to come with me," Thomas flicked his gaze over us.

"Thomas, listen to me," I stood up and moved closer to him. I couldn't take the thought of losing another person close to me, "I've known Minho for... well, as long as I can remember. So, if there was any way that we could help him... trust me, I would be up there standing next to you. This what you're talking about, is impossible."

The others also stood up and walked over to us.

"More like suicide," Jorge commented.

"Maybe, but I know what I'm supposed to do now. It's not just about Minho, it's about all of us. It's about everyone Wicked's ever taken, everyone they will take. They'll never stop, so I'm gonna stop them. I'm gonna kill Ava Paige," Thomas announced.

"I have to admit, I'd like to get some revenge and my best friends back," Harriet looked at Vince.

"Well, that's a good speech kid," Vince sighed, "So, what's your plan?"

Y/n POV

Several hours earlier

The sharp pain in my head was the first thing I felt. Then they came flooding back. Memories. Splinters of my past life flashed through my head making me feel like my head was being split open from the inside. Nausea built up as I remembered who I was and what I'd done. I gasped and my eyes flew open. I sat up and gripped my head. Someone's arms went around me. I thrashed trying to break free.

"Y/n/n, calm down, it's just me," Nikolai tightened his grip and I relaxed into his arms.

"Wh-what happened?" I buried my face into him.

"The Wraith took over, she blackmailed Coralie into letting me go," Nikolai explained, rubbing my back.

"Why would she let you go?" I frowned and looked up at him. A pained look crossed his face.

"She took Livia's power and held a knife to her throat, threatening to slice her throat open if she didn't let me go. So the Phoenix let me go, and then..." Nikolai trailed off.

"And then what?"

"She broke Livia's neck," Nikolai said quietly.

"She did what? Why would she—the Phoenix is gonna kill us," I sighed.

"And then we hid the body," Nikolai finished.

"Good. Now where are we? How long was I out? Where are my friends?"