Chapter 6

Y/N

Y/N

There was always something so comforting about sitting wrapped up in a blanket on a comfy couch in front of a crackling fireplace. And that's exactly what I was doing now. The rest of the train ride to Hogwarts was a blur to me. I sat in that compartment folded up on myself and sobbing in the knees. I remember hearing the trolly cart pass by and not answering when the sweet old lady tapped on my door asking if I wanted anything. I wanted to be alone.

The sorting ceremony and feast were no better. I ignored that chatter around me and the persistence of Flint trying to speak with me about some bullshit I didn't care about. I had no clue who even got sorted into our house. Not that I really cared at that moment. I just wanted to get to Slytherin house and be left alone.

Which is how I got to where I am now, curled up on a forest green couch with a tan wool blanket thrown over me. I could lose myself staring into the embers of the fire. I should probably have gone to bed by now, but I couldn't bring myself to go to my room. I was sure everyone was asleep by now, but on the off chance one of my roommates wasn't, well it was best for me to stay in front of the fire a little while longer.

I didn't need his help. I was handing Flint fine on my own. I went three years holding my own. I didn't need him sticking up for me now.

I looked down and could see that I was squeezing the fringe of the blanket so hard that my knuckles were white. He made me so angry. What changed for him that now he wants to be my friend again? I'm still a Slytherin and I'm still keeper on the rival team. There was no way it was just a flip of a switch in his brain.

After spending another hour in front of the fire I decided it was finally time to risk it and head up to my bed. I was exhausted, my legs feeling like lead weights as I dragged myself to my dorm room and threw myself into my bed. Everyone was fast asleep, thank god. I squirmed under my covers ready to drift off. I closed my eyes hoping for darkness, but all I saw was his face.

Two weeks later

The air was crisp and cold on the particular morning that Flint chose to hold the Slytherin Quidditch tryouts. I was wearing the warmest sweater I had but was still freezing. How was it this cold in mid September? There are about fifteen students standing in front of Flint and I, all eager to make the team. I still thought to myself how stupid this whole charade was. Our beaters from last year did great. Hell, they were even here trying out again. Honestly I didn't even know why he wanted my opinion in the first place. It was something that had been bothering me since the train. I'm not a co-captain so why did it matter what I thought?

"Alright," Flint shouted at the group of students, "We are looking for two new beaters. I want you to take twenty laps around the pitch then touch down here and we will start working with the bludgers and the bats."

No one moved. It was like they were frozen in place. I chuckled a bit, causing Flint to cast an angry scowl on me.

"Well move you maggots," He scolded. Everyone kicked off the ground after that and the laps began. He turned to look at me. "It doesn't look promising this year. Idiots can't even take simple instruction."