Chapter 39

Oliver

Oliver

The luckenbooth rolls around in my fingers, the silver shimmering from the light of the fireplace. A reminder of the love I have for Y/N. Gemma brought it to Gryffindor Tower. Her expression was apologetic and sad. She said Y/N still didn't want to see me.

When we attended potions the following day, she sat at a different table. Percy came over to ask what was going on. His face was filled with worry, but I was in no state to talk.

The words coming out of her mouth weren't hers. She was lying and I know it. I know she still loves me. I know she's always loved me. I don't know what would make her think that leaving me was something she needed to do.

I put the ring on my pinky finger and close my hand. My eyes stay on the fire, watching the flames lick the logs, making them glow red hot. My brain is swimming with images of her face. The look in her eyes when she told me she was done with me. Like she was throwing me out. It hurt to my core. But, I also know there is more to this. I have to find out.

"Wood?"

I turn around to see Fred and George standing behind the red sofa. Their faces have a similar expression to Gemma's. I look away from them and back to the fire.

"Wood, we heard about Y/N." They walk around the sofa and sit on either side of me.

I let out a sigh. I want to be alone, but I don't want to snap at them. They didn't make Y/N break up with me. It's not their fault.

"We're sorry," they say in unison. Their eyes are on me, but I still look away. The pain I'm feeling right now is beyond anything a simple sorry could remedy.

We sit in silence for what seems like ages and my mind runs like a movie, remembering every moment between Y/N and I. Thinking about our happy moments and our rights. Rerunning the whispers around us. My heart stops. I break my eyes away from the fire and look at Fred.

"What do you know?" I say slow and cold.

He looks surprised at my sudden turn in demeanor. The memories are vague, but they are there. Flint, stopping them in the hallway. The fear in their eyes after he left. The whispers behind closed doors or when my back was turned.

"What do you mean Wood?" George asks from my other side.

Looking between both of them now, I say again, "What do you know?"

They glance at each other. They are hiding something. I know it. I don't know why I didn't put this all together before. Maybe It was all overshadowed by my feelings for Y/N and the honeymoon phase we were in, but now I'm seeing things differently.

"We don't...," Fred starts to talk but I stand up and face the two of them.

"Stop! I know you know something!" my voice rings through the common room. I'm not one to raise my voice, but my emotions are overflowing. The raising of my voice makes them both noticeably jump.