Chapter 34

Oliver

Oliver

The potions classroom is dark and musty smelling as always when I walk in and find my seat. Professor Snape is rustling through a stack of parchment at the front. Percy is sitting next to another fifth-year Gryffindor student. I don't think he even realized I came in and a few Slytherin's are huddled together talking about who knows what.

I turn and watch the door, hoping to see Y/N come running in. She said she had something to do and would meet me here, but she sure is cutting it close.

Just as I turn back to the front, I hear footsteps behind me and Y/N plops down in the seat next to me. She looks out of breath.

"Did you run from the other end of the school?" I tease her, but she doesn't respond. She reaches into her bag and pulls out her potions book. As she starts to open it I reach over to take her hand. She flinches. I've been noticing it more lately. She gets jumpy around me and I don't know why.

She looks over at me, "Hey, sorry I was up in the Astronomy Tower. I had some questions on the Divination homework." She smiles at me before turning back to her book. I keep her hand in mine.

She doesn't pull away from me, instead turning her attention to the front of the class where Professor Snape has started his lecture on the potion we are going to attempt today.

"If you would all open your books to page thirty seven you will see the recipe for Draught of Peace. Draught of Peace is a potion to calm anxiety and soothe agitation, but if you're too heavy-handed with the ingredients you could end up making something that would put the drinker into a heavy or irreversible sleep. Pay attention to your portions." He pauses for a moment, "All the ingredients you need are at your stations. Begin."

I watch Y/N as she starts to lay out the ingredients in order. She runs her hand down the page, stopping at each line. Her lips are moving as if she is saying them to herself. She doesn't look up.

The Slytherins close to us are whispering to themselves. I look over to see that Flint is amongst them. He must notice me looking over because he locks eyes with me. His stare is as cold as ice. I reach on my table not looking and accidentally knock over a jar that falls to the ground and shatters. Y/N and I both jump.

I turn away from Flint to look at Y/N. She looks frazzled. "Sorry, I was just." I look back over to the Slytherins but they have all looked away along with Flint.

When I look back at Y/N she has already started putting the ingredients for the Draught of Peace into her cauldron. I lean down to pick up the broken glass. When I stand I come face to face with Professor Snape.

"Would you like to explain to me Mr. Wood why there is glass all over my floor?" His glare is paralyzing as I set the pieces on the table.

"I was distracted Professor, it won't happen again," I say.