Chapter 20

I wanted to start this chapter off by introducing you all to the new cover for the book

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

I wanted to start this chapter off by introducing you all to the new cover for the book.  I could not be happier with it and I want to thank Cheyenne Davis for her time and wonderful artwork, that brought my story to life.  It truly is a special piece of art and I will cherish it always.

Y/N

The morning of August 15th, a large gray owl starts pecking at the kitchen window. My mum walks over, leaving a pan of rasher's sizzling on the stove. There is no doubt in my mind it is my Hogwarts letter with the supplies list for my fifth year.

My mum opens the window and takes an envelope out of the owl's mouth. When she turned back to me she holds it up, "It feels heavier than usual?"

"Heavier?," I inquire as I stand up from the table to retrieve the envelope from her. It definitely feels more weighty than past years. I run my finger down to the red wax seal and pop it open.

Inside, I find the usual. A letter from Professor McGonagall welcoming me back for another year and a list of school supplies for my fifth year classes. But, there is also one more letter inside. As I open it, I sensed my mother over my shoulder reading the letter along with me.

Dear Ms. Y/L/N,

I would like to congratulate you on being chosen as one of this year's Slytherin Prefects. It is quite an honor to be chosen for a leadership role at Hogwarts and we know we can count on you to excel at not just your studies, but also as a role model and leader to your peers.

Enclosed you will find your Prefect pin. We do ask that you wear this at all times as to let the other students know your position within the school. You will also be in charge of introducing the new first years to their house as well as being their mentor as they start their journey at Hogwarts.

We look forward to seeing you in the fall. Please enjoy the remainder of your summer break.

Sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

Professor and Deputy Headmistress

My mother lets out a squeal from behind me, "Oh honey! This is wonderful." She twirls me around and pulls me into a tight hug. As she releases me, I reached back into the envelope and pulled out a shield shaped pin. The word Prefect is inlaid in silver with a green enamel filling in the rest of the shield design.

"We need to celebrate," my mother says, dancing back over to the stove and flipping the rashers. "Oh and your father and I are definitely going to get you something special when we take our trip to Diagon Alley soon."

I shake my head, "Mum, you really don't have to do that."

"Nonsense," She states as she makes me a plate for breakfast. She places the plate in front of me, "This is an important moment in your Hogwarts career. It's only proper that we reward you for it. I'll talk to your father when he gets home from work tonight."