Chapter 15

Oliver

"Oliver, are you okay?"

Penelope Clearwater walks up to me, a beaming smile on her face. I'm not in the best of moods to talk to anyone, but I smile back, not wanting to seem cold.

"Hi Penelope. Yeah I'm fine." I run my hands through my short hair, feeling a mild headache forming.

"You sure?" She comes around to lean against the oak door next to me.

I look over at her, a bit confused as to why she's even talking to me. I hardly knew who she even was until Percy started staring at her. Her blue eyes look at me softly, with a sense of caring reflecting back at me.

"Yeah, I'm good Penelope. What about you?" I look at her, curious as to her motives for finding me.

As she starts to talk I hear the sound of footsteps and notice a glint of green satin running down the hall across from us. They seem to be moving fast. I look behind Penelope, trying to see if I can catch a glimpse of who it is. Y/N?

"Oliver? Did you hear me?"

I snap back to her. Being honest about my distraction. "I'm sorry. I thought I saw someone. Can we talk later?"

The smile on her face changes into a frown, "But I really need to talk to you."

"I'm really sorry, I need to go." I start to walk away from her towards the sound of the footsteps when she grabs the back of my sweater. I look over my shoulder at the sad blonde before me.

"It's about Percy," she speaks softly.

This surprises me, "Oh! Um, well, find me tomorrow okay?"

She nods, letting go of my sweater, "Thank you Oliver."

I smile back at her before taking off down the hallway where I heard the sound.

It's dark as I squint to try and make out the figure of a person standing at the doors at the end of the hall. They seem to be crying. I slow my speed, not wanting to scare whoever it is. Is it Y/N?

As I approach I can make out the familiar features of my best friend. She's leaning against the doorframe, her hands over her face. She's definitely crying, but why?

"Y/N?"

Her hands fall quickly and her eyes lock with mine. They're bloodshot and her eyes are puffy. No doubt from the tears.

"What's wrong? Why are you crying?" I try to approach her but she turns away from me. Her gaze frozen on the two large doors next to her. "Y/N, will you please talk to me?"

It takes a few moments before her eyes turn back to me, "What do you wanna talk about Oli?," she snaps at me.

Her face is serious, but sad, "I wanna know why you haven't been talking to me since Valentine's day? You've been dodging me every chance you get."

Her look is still stern, but her body is starting to tremble. Her hands move to fidget with the fastening of her robe, "Why would you want to talk to me, it looked like you had plenty of company from where I was standing."

Confusion floods my mind.

"Are you talking about Penelope? She and I aren't friends. And what makes you think I would want to talk to her over you?" I step closer to her now, placing my hands on her shoulders. She tenses under my touch.

"She seemed pretty comfortable with you. I've never seen you smile like that with anyone but me Oli." Her eyes quiver, and I notice a small tear forming.