Chapter 8

Y/N

Y/N

When the big brown package plopped down in front of me at breakfast the morning of October 31st I was relieved.  I had sent my mom an owl weeks ago telling her I needed a 50's style muggle costume.  I waited and waited, nervous that she might have forgotten, but nope, here it is. 

The Hufflepuff house was known for its quirky parties, and this year was going to be no exception.  It sounded like it was going to be a crazy time this year, being Halloween and a 50's theme.  The invites started going out at the beginning of October and the castle was all abuzz about it.  The parties were never school approved, but I think the teachers didn't feel it was worth the effort to stop it.

He said he was going.

I remember Oliver saying it in passing after the invites had gone out.  We aren't back to our old selves by any stretch of the imagination, but we are speaking again without it being screaming or crying.  A good morning in the great hall, a hello before the start of class is about where we were.  I am still struggling.  I want to believe his words in the courtyard that day.  I really do.  I've started wearing the snitch necklace every day now. 

I picked that out for you.

Why didn't he give it to me himself?  That question keeps running through my head every time I lay my hands on the tiny delicate charm. 

"Y/N!"

I hear the familiar annoying voice of Marcus Flint snap me out of my trance.

"Is that your costume?" He asks me, pointing at the package still placed in front of me where the owl left it.

"Maybe, what does it matter to you?"  I flash him a glare. 

Flint had been a pain in my side even more since the tryouts.  We reappointed the old beaters onto the team, as I had told him we should have in the first place.  I still remember his face when he told them.  He always hates when I'm right and that was one of those moments.  I guess he thought a smart way to get back at me for being a smart ass was to be up my ass everyday.

"So you're going to the Hufflepuff Halloween party then huh?" He cocks his head.

"Why the twenty questions Flint? Fuck off," I grab the package and swing my legs off the bench to leave.

From behind me I hear his slimy voice, "I'll see you there then."

Turning back, I see a sly smile on his face.

I roll my eyes at him and run out of the great hall. 

"Y/N!"

Why am I so popular today?  I hear my name shouted out from behind me as I start walking down the steps to the dungeons.  This voice is different though.  It's not Flint.  It's Oliver.

When I turn around I see him racing after me.  He's got on his Puddlemere united hoodie and he's waving his hand frantically at me.

"Oli?"