Chapter 19

Oliver

Oliver

It's a warm sunny day as we pull up to the beach on the western coast of Scotland.  It's the same beach we always went to as children.  I can see the white sand and the crashing of the ocean waves against the shoreline from the car window as my dad brings the car to a stop.  As I take Y/N's hand and open the car door, my dad turns to the back seat.

"Hey Y/N, why don't you and Mrs. Wood head down to the beach, I need to talk to my son for a moment."  His eyes move to me.  I tense, wondering what he wants to talk about.

Y/N's eye dart between my dad and I, "Yeah okay."  A look of concern clouds her face.  I reach out and take her hand for a moment giving it a reassuring squeeze.  We let go, letting out fingertips linger for a second longer before she exits the car with my mum.

I watch as she walks down the rocky path that leads to the beach.

"Oliver."

My dad says my name, making my attention shift to him. "Yeah dad?"

"You really like her don't you?" He gives me a sincere look.

A shyness comes over me as I tilt my head down, "Yeah, she's everything to me."  My fingers intertwine with each other as I look back up at my dad.  "I would do anything for her."

"I'm glad to hear it.  I'm sure you've noticed her dad is nervous."  He unbuckles from his seat to face me more directly.

My mind travels back to the platform.  His face was the look of a concerned father.  Mr. Y/L/N has known me my whole life and maybe secretly always wanted this to happen.  But, I understand where he is coming from.  I see Y/N is a whole different light.  One that goes beyond friendship.  If I was a father I would be nervous too.

"I have," my hand runs through my hair, "All I can do is show him how much I care about her.  I'll always protect her."

My dad nods, "That's a good start.  Don't be surprised if he wants to have a talk with you. Kinda like what we are having right now."

A nervous laugh escapes me, "yeah, I'll try to be ready."

My dads attention turns to the car window.  I notice him looking out at the waves.  "I realize that we've never really had the talk."  He turns back to meet my confused face.

"The talk?" 

He laughs, "Son, I know some things confuse you, but you know what I'm talking about.  The talk."

It takes me a moment, but then it clicks, "Oh dad.  Yeah we don't need to talk about that right now.  Really."

I frantically reach for the car door handle to excite this conversation.

"Oliver, you're almost fifteen."

"Yeah, but really that's not even on my mind dad.  Can we just head to the water?"  I push the door open, unlatching my seatbelt.