Chapter 27

Y/N

Y/N

Halloween dinner in the great hall is chaos to say the least. The tables are overflowing with every imaginable sweet treat. My personal favorites, exploding bonbons, are pilled high on a gold tray with pink sugar crystals sprinkled over the mound. Hands reach around and over me to grab items. A simple excuse me would be nice.

"Do you have your costume ready for tonight?" Gemma asks as she grabs a pumpkin off the closest tray.

"Yeah, it arrived yesterday."

"I'm so excited," she squeals, "I just love the muggle 20's look."

"It should be interesting," I say, taking a bite out a bonbon.

The annual Hufflepuff Halloween party is always the talk of the school for at least two weeks leading up to it, and this year is no different. My mum sent me a beaded green flapper dress with a matching headband and a pair of black t-strap marie jane shoes. It looks pretty cute, although I'm not as informed in the style of the muggle 20's as Gemma is. I made sure to try and plan ahead with Oli this year so we matched. He wasn't thrilled when I told him my outfit was going to be green. His outfit came a couple of days before mine, with a sweet note from his mom asking that we send her a photo all dressed up.

"I can't wait for you to see Terrence's outfit," Gemma beams, "It's absolutely perfect."

"I look forward to it."

"Please don't," Terrence chimes in next to Gemma, "It's horrible."

Giggling, I reach over to the bonbon tray grabbing another one and popping it in my mouth. I feel the mini explosions start to go off in my mouth as the chocolate melts.

"I'm sure it's not that bad."

He doesn't look at me. He instead directs his attention to Gemma, "Is there a reason you had to choose pink?"

Before she can respond to him, the doors of the great hall fly open. Professor Quirrell comes racing into the hall. His face is pale and has a look of shock and fear. I look at Gemma and Terrence who both look just as confused and baffled as I do.

"Troll— in the dungeons— thought you ought to know!" Quirrell shouts at the top of his lungs and collapses to the ground.

An instant roar of screaming and panic starts to insew around us. The first years start to leap off the beaches, with some clinging to each other in fear.

Professor Dumbledore shoots sparks from his wand to get the attention of the panicking students. "Prefects, please escort the students back to their dormitories immediately." His voice booms over the crowd, causing some of the students to freeze in place.

I leap up from the table, trying to pinpoint the first years. "First years, please follow me this way and please stay together," I shout as loud as I can, as the panic starts to pick up again. I wave my hands, getting the attention of the kids. When I'm certain I have all of them, I start to walk out of the great hall and down towards the dungeons.