Chapter 22

Y/N

"No peeking."

"Oli, how can I peek when you have my eyes covered?," I giggle as he guides me along, holding my hand tight.

I was greeted this morning at breakfast by a giddy Oli, telling me I needed to come with him.  In his hands he held a blue scarf which he proceeded to tie around my head, blocking my vision.  As he guided me out of the house, I started to bombard him with questions about where exactly he was taking me.  He refused to say a word. 

"How much farther?," I ask, starting to hear crunching sounds under my feet.  It sounds like sticks and leaves.

"Almost there," he says, still guiding me along.  His fingers stay intertwined with mine. 

I smell the morning dew still strong and lingering in the air.  I also begin to hear the chirping of birds high above me.  We must be amongst trees.  After a few more minutes of walking we come to a stop.  I feel Oli release my hand and walk behind me.  My eyes are closed tight under the scarf.  There is a tugging behind me as he starts to untie the fabric.

"Open your eyes," he whispers into my ear as the scarf falls to the ground.

Before me is a beautiful sight.  There is a red and white checkered blanket layed out on the forest floor.  The trees around us form a canopy where little rays of light shine through and dance across the blanket.  A few candles are lit and spread out amongst the leaves and sticks.  On the blanket is a basket with different foods and treats poking out of the top.  Two burgundy and gold pillows are placed along with some crystal wine glasses and a bottle of sparkling cider.  The little green bag he had brought back from Diagon Alley is sitting off to the side next to one of the pillows.

"Oli, when did you...," I start to ask, turning around to face him.

He smiles proudly, "I was up early."

"I can see that.  It's Beautiful!"

He cups my cheek and leans down, placing a soft kiss on my lips, "Our birthdays are tomorrow.  I wanted to do something special."

I can't help but get lost in his eyes, that are shimmering back at me with sincerity and love.  How was it that just a year ago I was screaming at him; crying over a broken friendship.  But, now standing in the woods behind our houses I look at him with affection and tenderness in my heart.  My best friend, my love.

"Come, sit down," He gently guides me onto the blanket, beside the pillows.

I look up to see a few of the birds I had heard before fly between the branches above us.  Their chirps sound like a vibrant summer song just for us.  I watch as Oli opens the sparkling cider and pours it into the two glasses.  He hands one to me.  The bubbles float and dance, occasionally bursting at the surface of the cider. 

I take a sip, looking up at him from the glass, "You've really outdone yourself Oli."

His face cracks a smile, "Really?  I thought I didn't do enough."

"It's perfect."

His face lights up, "Well, I'm glad to hear it."

I reach over and peek into the basket, "So what exactly did you pack in here?"  I rummage around, pulling out a small pink box. The familiar lettering spells out Exploding Bonbons.  Glancing over at Oli, I start to chuckle.

"It wouldn't be a picnic without your favorite candy now would it," He smirks proudly. "Oh and also," he reaches into the basket, "I brought these."

He pulls out two small aluminum wrapped items.  I can make out the smell instantly, "pumpkin pasties?," I say, with a gleam of excitement in my voice.