fifteen

Forty minutes later, we were driving down my road and the nerves had started to kick in.
"Maybe I should just come back with Kayo another time-"
"Ayodele. We're going in today, you didn't make me drive all this way for nothing," he said sternly, making me kinda wish Marcus was the one that was with me. At least he can be sympathetic.

He parked up and neither of us reached for the door handles, indicating both of us were on edge.
"Can you just give me the run down on what briefly happened so I know what I'm getting myself into?" he asked, leaning back into his chair as I did the same.

"They found out about me smoking weed and," I sighed, "And they know about me cutting myself so they'll probably make a snide comment about that as well."
Jadon nodded slowly, unsure of what to say, "But you don't... anymore right?"
I shook my head, "Not for a few months and the last time I used weed was when I first got kicked out so I'm doing good."
He smiled, "Yeah. You're doing good."

To hear someone else say that made my shoulders relax and another sigh to leave my lips, "Should we get this over with then?"

He nodded, pulling open his car door and meeting me on the pavement. We approached the front door and I hesitated before knocking.
"You've got this yeah," he whispered, spudding me, "And remember I've got your back."
I nodded, awkwardly trying to laugh it off, "Well it can't get that worse can it?"

The door swung open.
"Kayo- Oh. You're not allowed to be here," My mum said nervously, holding the door only a fraction of a centimetre open.
"Just let me get my stuff and I'll be gone, I promise. Please Iya," I put my hand against the wooden frame so she couldn't shut it on me. (mum)

"Nkan re?" she raised an eyebrow. (Your stuff?)
"Beeni." (Yes.)
She shook her head, "Your Baba will join me if I'm at the door too long. Goodbye Ayodele." (Dad)

She tried to shut the door but Jadon pushed it open, not too hard so that it wouldn't hit her and she'd have time to move out the way.
"Sorry Auntie but she's gonna need her stuff. We'll only be a minute," he followed me over to the stairs whilst she looked in between us in shock, slamming the door and walking over to the kitchen.

I legged it up the stairs, Jadon just behind me, "Why are we running?"
"We have literally less than ten seconds until my dads up here."
The hallway was cluttered with cardboard boxes, making the whole situation a lot harder as I weaved in between them to reach my room. My room.

The door was gone, as was everything par the bed frame, desk and wardrobe. The carpet was gone, my posters were gone, even my fucking curtains were gone.

I ran over to the wardrobe, pulling open the drawers beneath it and being faced with nothing but the sheet of wood forming the base.
"No, no, no," I panicked, opening everything else, trying to figure out what the hell was going on.

Jadon stood in the doorway, looking around what was meant to be my room with his jaw clenched, "Dele let's just go."
"No!" I shouted, "All my stuff. All my fucking stuff!"

I walked backed into the hallway as my dad was climbing the stairs, "What are you playing at? I'm gone, I did as you said. All I want is to take my things with me. You can't just-"
He walked straight past me, moving a few boxes before calmly saying, "You need to leave."

"I'll leave when I have my stuff! What's in these boxes huh?" I grabbed the one closest to me, tearing the tape off and lo and behold, my clothes were scrunched up inside it, "Of course."
There was a roll of bin bags on the floor which they must've been using to chuck the rest of my stuff away. I tore one off, emptying the contents of the box inside.

I moved onto the next box and found pictures of me when I was younger with Kayo and other members of our family. My breath caught in my throat a little before speaking, "You were gonna chuck these away?"