fifty-two

It had been a few hours since Jude had called me and I still hadn't replied. I was sprawled out across the sofas, betasquad playing on the tv in the background as I waited for Jadon to come back. He went to pick Kian up from the station.

If I was gonna call him back, now would be the time.

It's been almost a month since we said anything to each other but I still cared about him otherwise I wouldn't be feeling this nervous.

I clicked his contact, closing my eyes as I clicked for it to ring before panicking and having to regain my composure as he picked up on the third ring.

"Ayodele?"
I folded at his voice, I hadn't heard it in so long.
"Yeah."
It was awkward for a moment and I heard him curse under his breath, "Did Jadon speak to you then?"
"He said you called, what is it?" I played dumb just so I'd get to talk to him longer. I was down just as bad.

"Marcus' party innit?" he let out a breath and I imagined him scratching the back of his neck like he did when he was nervous, "He invited me but I don't want it to be awkward with us and kill the mood, you know? If you're gonna be uncomfortable I can just skip it, it ain't that deep."

"There's gonna be loads of people, it won't be that awkward. He's your friend too, I don't mind."
"You're sure?"
I laughed, "I don't care, don't worry. You do your thing, I'm doing mine."
He took a moment to respond, "Yeah."

"Is that all you wanted to know or?" I asked as he hadn't initiated a goodbye yet.
"Yeah. Actually no, how have you been?"
I swallowed, hating the awkward air and the fact he knew everything about me a month ago, "I've been good Jude. You? What's the football like?"

"It's good," he replied, pausing before sighing, "I miss you, you know? I miss us. I'm sorry I-"

I had to take a deep breath, reminding myself that things had to change, "Jude I appreciate it but let's not, okay? I'm glad you're doing well, I'll see you at Marcus', yeah?"
"Yeah I get it. I'm glad you're good too, you can still shout Jobe if you need anything."
"I'm fine, honestly. Jadon and Kian got me if needed anyway. Appreciate it though."
He groaned at the boys' mention before replying, "Alright calm. In a bit then?"
"In a bit."

———

•