twenty-seven

The game came to an end and my voice was hoarse from cheering as we won 2-0, watching with slight sympathy as the German team exited the pitch with their heads hung low but not caring enough to stop from grinning and making my way down the stairs.

Luckily enough for me, our parents never showed up but I worried for how Bukayo would react, expecting the parents that have always supported him to witness this big moment in his career.

I stood back where I was before- when I had to sneakily call Jadon off without being caught- and waited for the boys to make their way down here once finished shouting and play fighting.

Bukayo got subbed off at the 69th minute but sadly Jude never managed to make his way onto the pitch. He seemed happy enough though as him and Foden sprayed their water over each other whilst running to dodge the other's. Idiots.

Bukayo was sat on the floor smiling, watching his teammates mess about and admiring the big stadium they were playing in. When looking around he caught my eye, beckoning me to come over.

I jogged towards him mouthing to him, "I don't think I'm allowed on here."
He shrugged, "You are now."
He put out a hand when I reached him, gesturing for me to pull him up, which took much effort but I was able to. Then pulling him into a hug and telling him how proud I was.

"See it wasn't that bad was it?"
He shook his head, a dumb smile plastered on his face as he squinted at the sun blinding him from behind me, using a hand to shield his eyes, "Thank you."
"This was all you mate, nothing to thank for," I messed up his hair as he laughed.

"Nah but actually. I know you think you're some liability but you're really not. You do a lot for me without even realising," he kissed my head making me grimace and shove him away from me.
"Yeah, yeah I'm amazing. We get it."

He laughed, rolling his eyes, "So how did things go down with mum and dad?"
I scratched the back of my head awkwardly, "About that..."
"It's okay if you argued with them, I kinda expected it," he laughed loudly, eyes scanning the emptying stands, "Are they waiting outside or something then?"

I bit my lip, "I don't know. They might've saw me and just sat somewhere else but I don't think they came Kayo."
His eyebrows furrowed, left side of his lip rising as he pulled a face at me, "No. They would've come, they made me get them tickets."

"I'm sorry Kayo. I'm sure it weren't anything you did, maybe they were just busy. We know how much they would've wanted to be here but-"
"No!" he took a step away from me, shaking his head, "Look I know they're not great when it comes to you but they're always at my games, especially big ones, they love me. You don't know what you're talking about."

"That's not fair Bukayo."
"And neither is you trying to turn me against them just because they're shitty to you! They were here, I know it."

I took a deep breath, laughing lightly as I walked away from him, knowing anything that came out my mouth in the next ten minutes weren't gonna be good. I heard Jude call my name as I went back through the tunnel, fully ready to just call an uber and leave.

His studs against the hard floor made me finally turn around as he jogged to catch up with me, face full of confusion but a smile still there, "Ayodele? Everything alright? We won!"
"I know, I'm proud of you lot," I dismissed him, barely looking at him as my thoughts started to cloud my mind. It wasn't my fault they weren't here. He had no right to have a go at me. I should've said something, put him in his place.

"What's up?" he put a hand on my shoulder, making me flinch and back up away from him.
"Look I'm sorry but I gotta go. I'll see you later tonight probably."
His face scrunched up, "What do you mean? I want you to meet my family and stuff. We won man, why you moving all bitchy for?"