thirty-five

Euros 2021
Round of 16
England vs Germany

"Do you know how long the journey is?" I yawned, following Jude downstairs as he carried his kit bag and my jumper in one hand, putting out the other for me to hold.
"Think just over an hour. Bukayo's over there," he nodded towards the coach where my brother had just finished putting his bags in the compartment below it.

"Alright see you in a minute," I went to walk in his direction but got pulled back, Jude placing a quick kiss on my lips.
"Tryna just walk off yeah?" he laughed.
"My bad, my bad," I smiled tiredly, now walking towards Bukayo.

"Morning," I put him in a headlock but he shrugged out of it.
"Yeah, hi."
"Woah, what's up?" I pushed him lightly, looking at him concerned.
"I'm starting."
"That's a good thing?"
"I'm shitting myself bruv," he shook his hands before clenching and unclenching them, pacing slightly.

"It's just nerves. You're like this everytime and then smash it, stop stressing," I smiled as he gave a nervous one back.
"Yeah I'm calm. It's calm. Only like a billion people watching me, that's nothing. I'm fine," he said half sarcastically, speaking to himself more than to me.

I laughed, pulling him in for a hug, "You're gonna do great. Do you want me to sit with you on the coach?"
"Nah it's fine," he shook his head, "Sit next to your simp of a boyfriend."
"Oi," I shoved him lightly and we both burst out laughing, the man in question approaching the pair of us.

He stood behind me with his arms around my shoulders and chin on my head as he spoke to my brother, "How you feeling?"
"Calm. We got this, it's nothing."
I smiled, noticing how he seemed to believe it the more he said it out loud.

"That's what we like to hear," Southgate laughed, standing towards the coach door, "Everyone get comfortable, long journey and day ahead of us."
The boys all nudged each other back up and forth, gassing themselves up as they all ran to get seats where they wanted.

Bukayo got dragged off by Phil, giving me a chance to turn in my boyfriend's hold, hugging him properly.
"I'm so fucking tired."
He laughed, stroking my hair before walking forwards with me beside him, then letting me onto the vehicle first, "You should try sleep now. I know it's hard for you when we're driving but even just rest."
I nodded, trying not to cheese too hard as he remembered the little detail about me.

Instead, squeezing past the guys lingering in the little isle between the seats, finding an empty pair to the left. I let Jude in first, making the order go Jude, me, the isle, Bukayo and then Phil. Jess was behind Bellingham, Marc behind me; Jadon behind Bukayo and Raz behind Foden. I already knew I'd be getting no fucking sleep.

Sanch leant forward, talking to my brother and then dapped him up, turning to do it to me next. I looked at his hand for a few seconds before looking at him and letting out a laugh, completely airing him and turning to talk to Jude.

He laughed with his tongue in his cheek, "Alright then. Be like that."
"Just shush man," I rolled my eyes, still annoyed from yesterday.
"Don't be tryna tell me what to do."
"Maybe take your own fucking advice and-"

"Woah guys," Marcus laughed awkwardly, leaning forward and holding onto the side of my chair, "Just calm it yeah? Big day today."
"Yeah man, quarter final!" Jesse shouted close to my head, making me wince.

"He's the one being a prick," I mumbled, causing Marcus to laugh.
"Trust me, we know. Just ignore it."
"Bruv why you never got my back? She's always the one running her big fucking mouth. About time that-"
"Mate I suggest you shut up and quickly," Jude's arm fell over the top of my chair as he turned to look at him.
"Yeah I second that," Bukayo spoke, jaw clenched.