Bury the Past

The past two years have been full of drama. I have no idea how Leo and I survived but I can tell you one thing. Removing Sofia from our lives was the best decision Leo ever made.

She still comes to family dinners at the Specters but she minds her distance thanks to Ivan. We still have no idea what happened after she was removed from the family group, all we know is that she came back as a changed person.

I see her look at Leo hoping to get his attention but he doesn't. I see her trying to find a way to always be around me and the twins but I make sure that I'm with a crowd when she's touching my babies. "Mama I want cake", Audrey said bringing my thoughts back to the amazing dinner Janet and Grant prepared for me and my family. "Princess what did we agree on?", Leo chipped in making her hide her face. "Am listening...", he said above a whisper. "I can eat cake after I finish my food", she said making me smile. She had a sweet tooth while Aaron was the complete opposite.

"This food is amazing Grant", I complemented making him smile with pride. "Thank you, sister-in-law. I'm glad you like it", he said just in time for Aaron to say, "Yum", while he ate roasted potatoes. We all laughed. He didn't care. "So have you heard from Dad?", I asked Janet and she shrugged her shoulders as she finished chewing. She had been trying to reconnect with them... again. "Honestly, I'm tired of being the one who wants to fix things between us. We did nothing wrong Angel, we shouldn't be begging for their attention", she said looking angry. Grant reached for her hand making me give a weak smile. "I agree with you", i said making her face brighten as we went on eating.

We were done with dinner and I was helping Janet clean the table. Grant and Leo were playing with the kids and honestly, Grant looked over the moon. I was about to tell Janet when I saw her wiping a tear away in a rush, no doubt trying to hide her reaction from me. I went to her and pulled her to the patio. "Janet, what's going on?", I asked making more tears come down her cheeks. I pulled her in a hug and held her until she was calm enough to talk. "I don't deserve him. He's done everything for me and he's given me everything but that one time that he needs something from me. It had to be kids", she said with so much pain in her eyes. 

"Janet, what are you talking about?", I asked feeling confused. "I can't have children", she said making me furrow her brows. "What makes you say that?", I asked. "He told me he wanted kids so we went to the doctor and they said, I couldn't have kids. Angel, you should have seen his face, he was devastated. He didn't sleep well for a whole week", she cried even more. "I'm so sorry Janet. But there are a lot of ways you two can have children", I suggested. She released a breath. "I'm scared of asking him if we can adopt. I mean what if he says no?", she asked looking worried. "Then we'll find another way. You're not in this alone, you're my sister", I said looking at her in the eyes. "You really mean that?", she asked wiping her tears away. I rolled my eyes at her making her smile. Finally. "Now, you're gonna talk to him about it and tell me what he says... today Janet", I said and she nodded.

"Janet looked sad, what's wrong with her?", Leo asked as we were driving back home. "Well, she can't have kids and she's scared of suggesting adoption to Grant", I said reaching for his free hand. We interlocked our fingers and he pulled my side to his lips kissing my knuckles. "That's funny because Grant told me the same thing. He thinks that if he tells Janet then she will think that he's being selfish. I told him to do it anyways and let me know how it goes", he said surprising me. "What?", he asked when he saw shock on my face. "I told Janet the same thing", I said making him chuckle. "Waoh! I see we're the couple that finished each other's sentences", he said making us both laugh.

When we reached home we found Sofia's car at the gate. She was leaning on it. She looked nervous. "As if we didn't have enough drama already", Leo said. We entered and parked the car. "Hank, please tell them to let her in", I said surprising Leo. "I'm not doing this", he said and took the kids inside, leaving me on the patio waiting for her. "Hi, Angel. Sorry for bothering you at this hour. I know you don't want to talk to me so I'll make it quick... I'm sorry. I'm sorry for everything. I knew that Jason had feelings for you when I joined high school and I took advantage of it. I thought that if I gave him all the things money can buy then he won't want you anymore but it ended up backfiring because he fell in love with you. He hated me for what I did to you and I just... I couldn't stand it. Leo was there with me every step of the way, he started to change when he met you. That made me furious because he was my rock. I was so consumed by rage that I forgot about his feelings. I'm so sorry", she said and I just had to give in. 

I pulled her in a hug which surprised her. When she pulled back, her eyes fell on my shoulder and my yellow dress handed her red lipstick all over. She looked horrified. "I'm so sorry. I'll have it dry-cleaned", she said while panicking making me laugh. "Don't worry about it, we're even now", i said making her chuckle with tears in her eyes.

"Look, I forgive you Sofia but it won't mean a thing if you're not willing to change. Leo will only accept when he feels like he can trust you again. Do you understand me?", I asked hoping she would get it. "I know. I'll do everything I can to prove to him that I've changed", she said with determination making me nod as she went back to her car.