Chapter 8

As Crimson looked at the earring Kaelyn had shown to him, he got off the bed and approached her in a rush, snatching it away from her and facing another direction with a poker face.

"Patricia must've dropped it when cleaning up," he said. "I'll give it back to her."

He continued to stare at it, until he saw Kaelyn in front of him again. He glanced at her then back at the earring.

"Master, are you saying Patricia owns such an expensive looking earring? It doesn't look like something she can afford. I know I'm not an expert at these things but she doesn't look like the type who would find such things important."

Crimson dropped his hand to his side, clenching his jaw. "It sounds like someone is asking me questions and I don't like it."

She lowered her head. "I'm just so curious about it."

"Don't be."

"But-"

"I'll handle it."

"Okay, but-"

"Not another word about this. Is that clear?"

She fiddled with her fingers. "Yes, Master."

He wrapped his arms around her and raked his fingers through her hair. "Good." As he stared at the wall, he blinked and when his eyes opened, they began to glow.

I'll definitely handle Patricia.

~

When Kaelyn was fast asleep, Crimson approached Patricia from behind, startling her so much that she placed a hand on her chest. "I didn't see you there," she said.

Still in his calm state, he tilted his head. "Explain to me why you just had to place that earring on the floor."

Patricia's eyes widened and she instantly got on her knees. "Please forgive me."

"You're fired," he said.

He only watched as tears trickled down her cheeks and she kept her hands together. "Please don't do this to me." Her voice trembled. "I can't lose this job, not with the way you pay me for my type of work."

"What did you think was going to happen? You're leaving my house and never coming back."

As she bawled her eyes out, she crawled at his feet, begging him for mercy.

When he realized she wouldn't leave, he held onto the back of her head and looked into her teary eyes.

"You'll get up and open that front door to get out. Once you close it, you'll walk away from this house and never return.... leave."

As soon as he dropped his hand from the back of her head, she wiped her tears and quietly approached the front door.

After she left, he looked at the earring, then stepped outside a few minutes later and threw it as far as he could.

~

A few days later, Kaelyn's second time of performing for the crowd at the circus was coming up the following day but even without doing much, she was easily exhausted. As she sat on her bed, she constantly dropped her head to the side.

I don't think I can perform tomorrow. How will I even tell Master? I'll just have to do it. I should be alright by tomorrow.

On the day of her act, as usual, the circus was filled to it's full capacity. They cheered with all the amazing acts and she could barely keep her head straight as she groaned. She was up next and still hadn't felt any better.

She then saw Crimson stand before her and he placed his hands on her shoulders, staring with a blank expression. "Remember, perfection."

Despite nodding, she only became more nervous, worried she wouldn't be at her best.