Chapter 30

It had been a while since Kaelyn had fed and in the evening, she was out to finally do it.

When she picked up the scent of a human after wandering along a narrow path, he was following her from behind so she looked over her shoulder and was glad her meal came right to her.

Though she didn't want to hurt anyone, she couldn't help it. Her need for blood was out of control.

For a few seconds, she let him follow her. It was that easy to lure her prey.

Promising herself she wouldn't kill him, she turned, faced him and dashed back to him, then sank her fangs into his flesh.

Once again, she only held onto his hair with one hand to keep him still. The more blood she drank from him, the more she felt the need to keep going. It didn't matter to her how deafening his screams were. She wanted it all.

When she was satisfied, she dropped the body to the ground with a sigh, glad she had finally done it.

She licked her fangs for a second, savoring the taste of his blood.

Then, she heard rustling from behind and when she turned around, there was a little homeless boy, who had just witnessed what had happened.

Wanting to ask if he needed help with anything, she took a step forward so she could approach him, but he ran off ,screaming that she was a monster.

It took her a few seconds to realize she was the actual monster, and it hurt because it was the first time someone had said that. Slowly, she got rid of the blood around her mouth and chin, shaking her head.

I.... I'm not a monster. Is this how Crimson felt when I said it?

As soon as she thought about him, she sighed. He had followed her a few times from a distance and she always knew he was right there, but never made it obvious.

She felt that it would go on for as long as she would be in Old Gravestone, so she decided it was time for a change, just so she wouldn't have to deal with him.

~

When she returned home, she found Grandfather outside and just quietly walked past him. He had become more hostile everyday but she didn't even mind.

She figured Alan was inside and went in, hoping he would understand.

When she walked into the living room, she found him reading a book.

As soon as his eyes landed on her, he instantly closed it and approached her. He held her hand, made her sit on a chair, then he sat on the floor as she spoke to him.

"I want to leave Old Gravestone. I don't want to be here anymore."

"Where exactly would you like to go? I'll take you anywhere," he said, looking up at her while holding her hand.

"Anywhere far from here. I'm leaving tonight."

"I'm coming with you."

"No, you don't have to come with me."

"But I want to come with you. I'll do anything for you."

"You need to stop being like this. If you come with me, what about your grandfather?"

"I'll talk to him right now. I'll be right back," he said, kissing the back of her.

When Alan came outside, he made the announcement to his grandfather without a second thought.

"Kaelyn and I are leaving Old Gravestone tonight and we're not back."

"Are you out of your mind?" Grandfather said with disbelief as he got up from his seat. "Why?"