Chapter 16

As Kaelyn went after Arya so they could talk about what happened, Arya only faced ahead and said nothing. Desperate to stop her, Kaelyn quickened her pace until she was close enough, then wrapped her arms around her.

"Please, wait," she said to Arya.

"For what?" Arya asked, looking over her shoulder. "For you to show me again whose side you're clearly on?" she said harshly, then sighed, her tone soft with her next words.  "Actually, it's not your fault."

"What do you mean?"

"Even if I tell you, it won't make sense to you because you can't see it."

"What are you talking about?"

Arya turned around, cupping Kaelyn's face. "Deep down, you're still my naive little sister. I understand that you're with Crimson now. If only I could slap you out of whatever spell he put on you."

Kaelyn giggled.

Arya sighed as she dropped her hands, her serious expression not fading. "I mean it."

"Master takes good care of me. Don't worry."

As much as Kaelyn seemed carefree, Arya couldn't help but worry.

"It's not just Crimson I'm worried about, but Demeena as well."

"Speaking of Demeena," Kaelyn said, crossing her arms. "She said she still loves Crimson right before you were dragged in."

Arya chuckled, baffled by how shameless Demeena had become, but she cut it short when she noticed Kaelyn's frown.

"Are you jealous?" Arya asked.

"What happened between Crimson and Demeena?" Kaelyn asked.

"I really don't know. The only ones who know are the two of them and Dorian. What I know for sure is that she's obsessed with Crimson, which is why she always sends Winn to his home. I really don't want her to hurt you."

"She already did, which is why Crimson brought me here."

"What?" Arya asked loudly, her voice laced with panic as she placed her hands on Kaelyn's shoulders. "I just found you and don't want to lose you. Although..." She trailed off, thinking about how if Kaelyn didn't die by Demeena's hands, it would be Crimson instead and she feared it was soon, judging by Kaelyn's pale skin.

"What happened?" Kaelyn asked.

"Compared to mine, your skin looks so pale."

"It does?" Kaelyn looked at her hands with wonder, making Arya scoff.

"Don't tell me you haven't noticed it? Or did Crimson make you think nothing of it?"

Arya hoped Kaelyn would say something about it, instead, she smiled.

"I'm fine. Don't worry about me."

Arya sighed, accepting that she couldn't slap her little sister back to her senses even if she tried.

Before Arya could find out from her sister if she had been feeling exhausted, Crimson and Winn returned and at the same time, Demeena and Dorian came in from outside.

When Crimson approached Kaelyn, who was still right next to Arya and told her they had to leave, Arya was in disbelief when Kaelyn agreed right away. She thought they'd spend some more time together, but it seemed that all Kaelyn wanted was to be by his side

As Kaelyn held onto Crimson's arm, she smiled at Arya. "I have to go now."

Arya got closer and held onto Kaelyn's hand. "But when will I see you again?"