Chapter 17

When Alan and his grandfather arrived in their new home, which was deep in the woods and away from the main town, he stood in the rustic living room and looked at the towering stacks of boxes that were almost reaching the ceiling.

As Alan's eyes scanned the boxes, he tilted his head as if wondering which of them had what he desperately wished to find.

It was only when his grandfather patted him affectionately on the back with a warm smile that he snapped out of it.

"Haven't you stared long enough?" Grandfather said. "Let's get settled in."

Alan eagerly rolled up his sleeves, smiling back at his grandfather with a nod.

"Leave it to me. I'll unpack everything. The journey was too long and it's best if you just rest."

Grandfather chuckled, causing the sides of his eyes to crinkle.

"That's some unusual enthusiasm you've got there, which I've never seen before. Just so you know, that's not the way to find what you're looking for."

Alan forced a chuckle, feigning innocence. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"My spell book isn't even in any of those boxes. You're wasting your time."

"It's not?" Alan's eyes widened, realizing he had just exposed himself.

"Ah...so you were looking for it?"

Alan sighed. "Yes."

"I can't let you get your hands on that spell book. Who knows what you'll do when you find it?"

"Hmmm…maybe cast spells?" Alan said, then chuckled along with his grandfather.

"Forget about it. How about you unpack, go into town to charm the ladies with your good looks and find yourself a wife? I need great grandchildren before I die!"

"Grandfather!"

"You know I'm right!" Grandfather said, walking away.

As Alan stared at the boxes with defeat, he sighed. He was determined to get his hands on the book no matter what it would cost. For that moment, he decided to start unpacking.

With his wand, he flicked it in the air, the top box beginning to float. Slowly, he directed it to the floor until it landed. Then, he repeated the waving of his wand until all the boxes were on the floor.

Ready for the next step, he directed the wand at each box, the seal on them ripping and opening up.

As soon as they were all done, he nodded, looking at his wand.

Grandfather might not allow me to have that book, but it doesn't mean everything else is off limits.

He looked around to make sure his grandfather wasn't close, then rushed to get a certain type of magic dust called soul dust, which was green in its original form. Quickly, he hid it in the satchel he had with him.

I'll just have fun with this when I go to the busiest part of this town.

Just then, Grandfather appeared with a burst of smoke, making Alan flinch.

"Grandfather! Don't show up like that. You could've just come in through the door the same way you left!"

"I had forgotten a pair of sandals in the other town," Grandfather said, waving the sandals in his hand, then looking around. "I see you've started to unpack. Starting now, no magic."

"What?"

"Bare hands only!"

"But-"

"It's your punishment for stealing that magic dust!"