FIVE YEARS LATER

Tonight, is my thirtieth birthday. A day that should be filled with family, friends, laughter, and love. But for me, that's not the case. Still, my day will be filled with one of the most handsome dates I've ever had to date. All five feet two inches of him.

My son, Elijah.

And he's all mine.

At least that was the plan before Professor Rollins called me to his office wanting to discuss another case. We've been working together for twelve years now, and after Alexander Kings' successful surgery, Professor Rollins brought me on as his partner. Together, we've opened surgery clinics across the globe. Aptly naming the clinics Our Lady of Hope. After an apparition that inspired hope amongst a small village back in the eighteen-seventies.

As a result, my wealth increased exponentially. And so has my notoriety amongst those in the medical field. It's becoming harder and harder to keep my rising fame as a reputed surgeon under wraps. Information I wish to keep from the world for my own reasons.

"There she is!" Professor Rollins limps over to me. Supporting his weight on his cane. "The woman of the hour! Happy birthday, Evie!" Then he turns to Elijah and tells him, "My secretary Alice will show you to the conference room. I need a moment alone with your mother."

Elijah nods and allows Alice to take him to the conference room.

"That boy of yours is growing like a weed."

"That he is." I smile.

"Have you spoken to his father?"

Sighing, I tell him, "I have not."

"He deserves to know he has a son, Evie. I know you're still angry with him for leaving you the way he did, but don't punish your son for his mistakes. He needs his father. Besides, it's been long enough."

"You're right. But it's been ten years and Jackson has a family now. I don't want to mess that up."

"You mean, you don't want it to mess up your life." He sees right through me. "You know... the one where you can forget you and Jackson ever were."

"Can you blame me?" I scoff.

Professor Rollins was there when he literally packed everything overnight and just left without so much as a word. That came later in the form of his lawyer who confronted me with divorce papers while I was caring for my very sick father. The worst part is, he wouldn't even tell me why or answer my calls or texts. And when I showed up at his house or job, he would have me escorted from the premises.

Years passed before I finally understood why he left me. I was at one of the more expensive restaurants in Los Angeles entertaining a member of the board when I saw him walk in with my sister Mary and their two kids. I'd heard she'd gotten married. Though, I wasn't invited to the wedding. As far as my family was concerned, I'm not good enough for an invitation because I dropped out of medical school to care for my dying father.

Talk about a slap in the face.

Jackson ignored me, but Mary made it a point to smile and wave at me. It turns out the wealthy man she married so she could look down on the rest of the world was already married to me.

Until she stole him from me.

Like I said... with a family like mine... who needs enemies.

Professor Rollins was there for me when my family turned their backs on me. They chose to side with Mary over me, because the way they saw it, Jackson losing interest in me and finding it in Mary was my fault for dropping out of medical school.