BILLION DOLLAR HEADACHE

For a week, I am forced to stay at Alexander's home. With Judy taking Elijah to and from school, Alexander cooking for me every day, and my team and I on standby while we wait for Abraham to open his eyes.

Then it finally happens.

When it does, everyone collectively sighs with relief.

He's awake, and he's lucid.

I run a series of tests and neurological observations on Abraham every fifteen minutes for several hours. Asking him questions, shining a light in his eyes to see if his pupils react, and making sure to take his vitals every hour until I am satisfied with the results before I happily report to Alexander and his mother that he is able to visit with them.

"Are the tubes sticking out of his head normal?" Alexander asks. "I don't recall that being a part of the process of my surgery."

"You probably just don't remember, but yes... it is normal." I try to put them at ease. "They're called drains. They drain excess fluid from the brain to prevent hydrocephalus. In another week or so he should be right as rain."

While Gillian dotes on Alexander's father, tending to his every need, Alexander takes me aside.

"Thank you, Dr. Graham." He expresses his gratitude. "Your skill as a surgeon is unmatched, but I still had my doubts. We went to several surgeons before you, and they all turned him down. Saying the surgery was too risky or that they could not guarantee he would come out of it the same man. But you've done it. You've done the impossible. And once again I am indebted to you."

"Don't praise me too much." I shy away from his compliments. "What I'm seeing is promising, but he is not out of the woods yet. And depending upon the results of this surgery, in a few weeks, we will more than likely have to do it again. Now, if he survives after that with his capabilities intact, then we will celebrate."

Alexander excitedly wraps me in his arms and exhales a grateful breath. As he pulls away, he moves to air-kiss me on the cheek, but movement to our right causes me to turn my head, and in that moment, our lips collide.

Then, for a single, satisfactory, solitary second... I stop breathing.

He quickly pulls away, but only a fraction of an inch. And as much as he grates on my nerves, if he keeps looking at me the way he is, I might be tempted to do it again.

There's a million synapses of chemistry firing between us. Pulling us together like magnets. And his lips hovering a hair away from mine is an open invitation if I felt so inclined to be bold.

Which I don't.

Carefully, I suck in a breath.

Two.

Three.

Afraid to move even an inch out of fear that I'll give in.

Only, I'm not the one to worry about.

Alexander's chest heaves up and down in rhythm with my own for several, long, silent moments before he finally says, "Fuck it," and goes in for the kill. Crushing his lips to mine and stealing my breath away.

For several more moments, I can't breathe, move, or even put a thought together as shockwaves of desire slam into me, through me, completely blowing my fucking mind. With his lips and his tongue slowly making quick work of my resolve.

Once the shock wears off, currents of electricity travel through us, and he backs me up against the wall. Crushing his mouth to mine over and over again. Albeit more forceful.