THE CONTRACT

"So... my father's name is Jackson." Elijah swallows hard. Not sure what to do with this information. "Where is he? Why hasn't he come to see me?"

"I'm afraid it's a little more complicated than that." I sigh.

"What do you mean?"

"I was married to him for two years. When grandpa died, I dropped out of school and your father wasn't very happy with me. So, he left me for another woman."

Elijah nods in understanding, but I can still see the questions in his eyes.

"He left me for my sister, Mary. Your aunt. And now they have a family together."

"Well, what about us? Aren't we his family too?"

"Yes, but... he doesn't know about you." I tell him. A ten-thousand-pound weight suddenly lifting off my chest.

"What do you mean?" He frowns.

"He left me before I knew I was pregnant, and when I found out, I... I didn't tell him."

A look of betrayal etches across Elijah's face as he stares at me with disbelief.

"So, all this time I thought he didn't want me... he didn't know about me?" His eyes redden with tears.

Getting up from the table, he storms out of the room. And moments later, his muffled cries can be heard through the door, causing my heart to constrict.

I'm a horrible mother.

What started out as me wanting to protect my son from my family of vultures has backfired. And it breaks my heart to know I've hurt Elijah inadvertently.

He deserves better from me.

My cell rings in my purse and I pull it out. I'm instantly annoyed by the name I see on the caller ID, but I answer it anyway.

"Just because I agreed to treat your father's illness doesn't mean you can call me whenever you feel like it." I sigh into the phone. Pinching the bridge of my nose out of frustration.

I knew this was a bad idea.

"Hello, Ms. Graham, my name is Winston, and Mr. King has a car waiting for you outside." An unfamiliar voice with a British accent tells me. Ignoring my words. "Bring your son if you'd like, but Mr. King told me to inform you that his father's treatment starts today."

I'm already regretting this.

"What part of not pressuring me does he not understand?"

"If you're really trying not to feel pressured, I'm afraid that ship has sailed."

"What do you mean?" I frown.

"I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you haven't gone anywhere today, turned on the television, or listened to the radio." He sounds amused.

"No. Why?"

"No reason."

He sounds suspicious, so I walk over to my front door and open it. When I do, flashes of light erupt all over the place. Blinding me. Followed by reporters shoving microphones in my face, while simultaneously trying to push their way into my home. It takes every ounce of strength I have to close the door again and lock it.

"What the hell is happening?!" I shout into the phone. My nerves now a frazzled mess.

"Well... there are photos of you and Mr. King circling the web." He sighs. "Photos of the two of you having dinner with your family. And now the world believes you are dating."