THE PLAN

Alexander is a genius. He's blown my mind several times within the past twenty-four hours and not just between the sheets. So, as we sit across from my mother, siblings, and Jackson to discuss the terms of the loan he's giving them, I peer at him from the side. Admiring him.

"Ahem." My mother clears her throat to get my attention.

A quick glance around the room reveals everyone else's attention is on me too. Like I missed something. Or perhaps they've noticed my preoccupied state and find it amusing.

Alexander summons his secretary into the room, and she hands out folders to everyone. Then she disappears as quickly as she came. Returning with bottles of water, and freshly brewed coffee.

"What is my daughter doing here?" My mother asks.

Skepticism oozing from her pores.

"I'll get to that. But first, I'd like to direct your attention to the proposal on the first page." Alexander successfully redirects her attention.

"You wish to wipe out her personal and business debts?" Jackson frowns. Skepticism now clouding his features as well. "Why? What's in it for you?"

"Nothing." Alexander replies. "I want nothing to do with your company as far as its management is concerned. Aside from ensuring that from here on out, it remains in the green and not the red."

"Meaning what exactly?" My mom asks.

"Meaning, a company on the verge of bankruptcy can't pay back its loan."

"We are not on the verge of bankruptcy." She balks at his claim. But I've seen the reports and the company my father built with his bare hands is most certainly on the verge of filing bankruptcy.

Only, it's not too late to turn that around.

"I never do business without knowing exactly what I'm getting myself into, Mrs. Graham. So, I assure you, the reports from pages two onward are an accurate depiction of your financial state as of this morning."

My siblings and Jackson hurriedly go over the pages in question. But before they can finish, my mother snatches the folders from their hands. Shoving them under her folder while she glares at Alexander.

"What the hell do you want?" She asks through gritted teeth.

"It's very simple." He replies, before adding, "I want Evelyn named as CEO, and for all matters concerning the business to go through her."

My heart leaps out of my chest and I whip my head in Alexander's direction so fast my neck pops.

"What are you doing?" I stare incredulously at him.

This wasn't part of the plan.

"I'm ensuring your family's business is setup for success."

"She's a glorified secretary." My mother scoffs. "She doesn't know the first thing about running a business."

"She knows more than you give her credit for. Not only is she the most capable of running the company so that it turns a profit, but she's also the most qualified person in this room." Alexander defends me.

No.

I silently plead with him not to do what I think he's about to do. Clenching my eyes shut and whispering a silent prayer to God.

"Evelyn?" They all say in unison.

Staring at him as if he's lost his mind.

Pulling out another folder I haven't seen yet, Alexander slides it over to my family and Jackson. Their mouths drop open, and their eyes shift back and forth from the contents of the folder to me.