SCORPION IN A PRADA SUIT

An hour is all it takes for Mary to start blowing up my phone. Calling me non-stop until I finally answer her call. Then she screams through the phone something about me having Elijah to spite her.

Like her stealing my husband out from under me, without a care in the world, is somehow a lesser offense than me accidentally getting pregnant by my then husband at the time.

Having had enough of her narcissistic, self-centered behavior, clenching my phone in my hand, I give her a piece of my mind before hanging up in her face. And I must admit... it feels damn good. I said things I've been holding onto for over eleven years, and I don't regret having said any of it. Because it all needed to be said.

Then I get a call from my mother about Mary being in tears, me being the big bad wolf for finally putting her in her place, and her demanding I come to an impromptu family meeting with Elijah so they can continue to tell me how horrible I am. But if they have any thoughts about doing any of that in front of my son, they'll be in for a rude awakening.

I've spent most of my life being a pushover, and I'm done with that. So, as soon as Alexander is satisfied with his father's progress, and Elijah and I are free to leave his family compound, I take Elijah to meet my family.

Specifically, his half siblings and his dad.

Mary can go to hell.

My sister Mary has three children with Jackson. Daughters. Amiyah, Emily, and Jocelyn. All eagerly waiting for us to arrive along with the rest of my family.

My mother being the scariest of them all.

Taking a deep breath, I shuffle my son forward into a room full of strangers he's never met until now. "Elijah, I want you to meet your grandmother Winnie, your uncle Malcolm, aunt Mary, aunt Eden, and your uncle Christian." I introduce him. Then I point to Mary's kids. "These are your half-sisters Amiyah, Emily, and Jocelyn."

Excited to meet them, he reaches into his backpack and pulls out the gifts he bought for each of his sisters. Gifts Alexander helped him pick out and pay for.

The scowls on their faces quickly disappear and they readily embrace him.

Each taking a turn to hug him.

"Gigi Winnie, this gift is for you." Elijah reaches into his bag to pull out another gift Alexander helped him buy.

If it were up to me, there'd be a venomous spider in that box.

Poised and ready to strike.

But Alexander is as efficient in the gift giving department as he is in business. And his gift softens the scowl on even my mother's face. For her, he bought a diamond broach in the shape of a rose.

"This one is for you, dad. And you too auntie Mary." Elijah hands them their gifts.

Mary seems surprised she would receive a gift after the argument we had the other day, but I'm not the one who bought them. If I had, hers would probably be a poisonous snake.

Curious, I watch them open their gifts. Jackson receives an expensive watch, while Mary receives a pair of diamond studs. And even though I know gifts like these cost Alexander pennies in his eyes, it's still too much for them.

They don't deserve them.

"Thank you." Mary and Jackson flash him a brief smile.

"I didn't know there would be more of you, so I don't have anymore gifts." Elijah remorsefully glances at the rest of his aunts and uncles.