BURNED

We had an arrangement.

Rules.

And yet I allowed Alexander to get past my defenses to infiltrate my heart. Breaking those rules and going against everything I stand for, in pursuit of hope.

Hope that I could have some form of happiness.

That I would no longer have to be alone in this world.

Hope that even though we made this stupid arrangement, he would still find it hard to let me go. That he would fight for me the way never Jackson never would.

But I was wrong.

This should have been a simple transaction between two capable adults. And yet, nothing about Alexander or our situation is simple.

Or transactional.

He wants me on his terms, and I want him on mine.

"Are you alright, Evelyn?" He asks me.

Only, I don't know how to answer that.

I'm afraid to.

My answer is stuck somewhere between walking away from this arrangement while I still can, and not wanting to give up on the idea that there could be more between us. I feel like he showed me how blissful life could truly be and then he just snuffed it all out.

Sensing my internal battle, Alexander retreats.

Physically and emotionally.

"This is an arrangement, Evelyn. One you readily agreed to and swore you could handle." He sighs. "If you can no longer uphold your end of our agreement, say so, and I'll release you from the obligation."

"I thought you said fuck the agreement." I throw that in his face.

"Did I?"

I hate him.

Never one to lose at anything, I shove anything I might feel for Alexander King into the deepest, darkest hole in my mind.

Locking it away.

Never again will I allow him to pull my strings as easily as I have. And never again will I allow hope into my heart where he's concerned.

"If it's just an arrangement then I can see who I'd like on my own free time. You had no right to threaten my date tonight." I glower at him.

"Actually, per the contract, in public, you belong to me. And your little date with the nightclub owner was in breach of said contract. You may conduct yourself however you wish behind closed doors. But while in public, you represent me."

"How am I supposed to meet or date someone if I can't be seen with them in public?" I stare incredulously at him.

"That's not my problem." He smiles proudly. "But I'm sure you'll figure it out."

Asshole.

"So, we're just stuck with each other then?"

"It appears so." He smiles smugly at me. "For three long years."

I really, really hate him.

We both fall silent while I process what I've gotten myself into. How he's set me up to either violate the contract, and owe him millions, or complete it and endure months of torment with him. Still, I'm not one to give up that easily. He may have won this battle, but I plan on winning the war between us.