WHAT'S BEST

The initial shock of the announcement of my father's illness hit us hard. And some of our shareholders jumped ship, which plummeted our stocks. We were on the verge of collapse when Evelyn offered to take my father to a golf tournament to get him back to his old self again. Only, my father ended up winning. Calling into question speculation about his health.

When video and photos of him surface online, the business world starts buzzing about rivals of King Technologies setting up this false narrative of failing health to satisfy their own needs. They even go as far as calling the information leaked, doctored.

Our press team capitalizes on the moment to erase any and all doubt about the validity of the source. Either God is on our side or lady luck shines in our favor because that leaked information is quickly forgotten. Allowing our stocks to rebound and new shareholders to come onboard.

And I have Evelyn to thank for it.

Even though her taking my father to the golfing tournament was more about her easing her guilty conscious than her trying to help us save our family business.

That doesn't stop Benji from moving heaven and hell to prove her innocence, though. Every day he brings me some new piece of information he hopes will cast doubt in my mind.

Not that I even need it anymore.

I believe her.

Meanwhile, Ms. Vasquez and I have grown quite close. Close enough for me to invite her to a business soiree tonight. Which she readily agrees to. Showing up to my office looking the picture of perfection.

Briefly my thoughts drift to Evelyn telling me to piss off with my offer. Her familiar laughter echoing in the room. Causing me to instinctively turn in the direction her voice is coming from. But I don't see her.

At least, not at first.

It isn't until Josh Hillson of Screenscapes moves toward the refreshment table that I finally find her. And she is glowing. Wearing a dress that is low-cut both in front and in back and putting every other woman in the room to shame.

My nethers are growing just looking at her.

It's as I'm admiring the view that she finally sees me. And for a moment, it's as if we're the only two people in the room. With everyone else fading into the background, and time coming to a halt as we casually gravitate to one another. Reminding me of just how entwined our dark hearts used to be.

"Alexander." She greets me with warm eyes.

"Evelyn." I reply back. Wondering why this tiny slip of a girl has a vice grip on my heart that I can't break free from.

"I didn't know you were coming, or I would've-"

"What?" I cut her off. "Left such an exquisite party?"

I haven't decided what to do with her yet, and there's still a part of me that desires her above all others. A part of me that doesn't want to let her go no matter what she may have done.

Or how she may have crippled me.

"Evelyn Graham." Selena extends a hand to her.

Evelyn shifts her gaze to Selena, her expression unreadable, before reaching out to shake her hand and offering her a kind smile.

"You have great taste." Evelyn compliments me.

"I'd like to think so." I reply. Undressing her with my eyes.