BROKEN

It was an honest question that deserves an honest answer. But when Alexander tells me he doesn't ever want children, a part of me dies just a little thinking about the child we lost, how blown away he was when he heard the heartbeat, and how I want that with him again.

"You should know that I miss you terribly, Evelyn." He shows me a rare form of humility. "My life doesn't have the same meaning or fulfillment without you in it."

Fuck.

He's saying all the right things, which makes giving him another chance even scarier for me.

For starters... how do I know he won't walk away from me again?

Closing the distance between us, he grips me by the front of my dress and pulls me into his arms.

A dangerous place to be.

"I want to make this work, Evelyn." He tells me. Pressing kisses into my forehead.

"You don't trust me," I remind him. "What happens the moment my mom or someone else does something else to come between us? I need to know I can count on you to stay and sort it out. I need to trust that you won't just abandon me Alexander."

Nodding, he exhales a slow, deep breath. Then our blaring phones brings our awareness back to the present.

We both reach for our phone, frozen in place, because Sam has just made his most outrageous accusation yet. And the tide of favor has quickly turned against us.

He released a press statement accusing Alexander and me of working in tandem to bring Tisdale Technologies down. Specifically, he's likened me to a prostitute who is being whored out by the Alexander to ensnare him, milk him for everything I can to save our alleged floundering companies, and then toss him out like yesterdays trash. He's even gone as far as implicating Bishop Riggs as an accomplice. Hinting that we have collectively launched a campaign to destroy him.

It's not that serious.

And he's not enough of a threat to either of us.

Just competition.

And even that is giving him more credit than he deserves.

While Alexander assures his shareholders the accusations are false, I am on the phone doing the same thing. But the fact that we've fled the country makes us look guilty.

We must go back.

The longer we stay away the guiltier we look.

Sighing, I end my phone call about a second before Alexander ends his and we both plop down on the sofa in front of the fireplace. Staring at the fireless hearth for several moments before he finally breaks through the silence.

"All is well?" He asks.

"For now. I think." I nod. "What about you?"

"Nothing I can't handle."

His eyes rake over me as if he's assessing whether I am worth the current risk to his livelihood. And he must decide I am because he tucks me into his arms and exhales.

Layering my arms over his, I relax into his chest.

"This will get worse before it ever gets better." He sighs.

"I know."

"Sam doesn't like to lose. And he's clearly smitten with you." His tone sounds a bit accusatory.

Sitting up, I turn to look him in the eyes.

"Is there something you wish to say?"

He thinks long and hard about his answer, before he asks, "Did you sleep with him?"