EVERY MAN'S FANTASY

Opening my eyes, I wait for them to come into focus before turning to Alexander. I want to apologize to him for not trusting him and for holding him at arm's length, but he's nowhere to be found.

After showering and putting on one of his shirts, I leave his bedroom to find him. Not at all surprised to hear his voice coming from his office.

He's a workaholic who doesn't know the meaning of the word 'relax'.

Softly, I knock on his door and enter to a welcoming smile from Alexander. But there's something off about it. He motions for me to take the seat across from him while I wait for him to finish his call, so I do. Noticing how he seems to be all business with me. His usual determination and affection for me missing from his eyes.

Now that I've put the stress of the custody hearing behind me, I was hoping Alexander and I could seriously talk about our future together. So, when he finally hangs up the phone, giving me his undivided attention, I quietly make my way around his desk to sit on his lap.

"I know I've been distant and stressed out. Not giving you the attention, you deserve. And... I'm sorry. Jackson's been on my ass about every little thing. He doesn't want Elijah anywhere near you. So, I've been struggling with finding that balance in my life. One where I can have both you and my son. It hasn't been easy, and this is hard for me to say because I've been hurt before, but-"

Leaning into me, Alexander gently presses his lips to mine.

"Whatever you're going to say... don't bother." He tells me. "I've been thinking a lot about you and me, and I think perhaps we've gotten a bit off track, like you said. Or perhaps maybe I've gone a bit off-track."

"What do you mean?" I frown.

Sighing heavily, he opens one of the drawers of his desk and pulls out the contracts I signed. Placing them all before me.

"Meaning I'd like to go back to our original arrangement."

What?

Stunned, I listen while he backtracks. Recanting every confession, he's ever made to me where his feelings for me are concerned. Simultaneously dismissing and disregarding the feelings I've developed for him over these past months. I'm so speechless that we're going back to this when he's told me how much he doesn't want what we have to end, that I don't even know what to say.

Did I miss something?

"I... I don't understand." I grimace. Gawking at him in disbelief. "Did I do something wrong?"

"No." He shakes his head. "I did. I lost sight of myself."

Again, I'm stunned. Because this can't be happening to me. I've finally found someone who sets my soul on fire. Someone other than Jackson. And now he's closing the door on everything we could be. Everything we were so close to being. Leaving me no say in the matter.

"So, what are you saying?" I ask. My heart lodging in my throat.

Afraid of what his answer might be.

"I'm saying we should go back to our original agreement. The one where we both get what we want, and then we part ways in three years." He drives a knife into my heart.

Fuck.

"I... I don't know what to say." I flash him a smile I'm far from feeling. "Especially not after the things you've said to me and the time we've spent together."